Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Special Interest Group
The Unmanned Aerial Systems Special Interest Group (UAS SIG) is a membership group focused on the application of unmanned aerial systems in agriculture. Supported by the National Centre for Precision Farming and founder member URSULA Agriculture, its membership broadly reflects the UAS in agricultural industry, including UAS operators, operations and service providers, technologists, agronomists, agricultural training and academia. The group has close links with organisations such as the CAA and ARPAS.
The UAS SIG was officially launched on 6 March 2014 and it aims to develop operational standards and training for UAS operators in agriculture; raise awareness of the operational requirements for UAS in agriculture, and develop all aspects of UAS technology, thereby increasing the application of UAS in agriculture.
The special interest group provides links between commercial, industrial, academic and international organisations and gives its members wider opportunities to exploit available technology and to combine their knowledge and skills. Its activities are relevant to individuals and groups interested in the:
- application of UAV sensing data to real world agricultural problems
- design and development of instrumentation, sensors and UAV platforms to increase the scope for UAS in agriculture
- development of novel techniques and methods for analysing UAV-sensed agricultural data
- integration of UAV-sensed data with other spatial data
- development of the agricultural market for UAV-sensing products and services
- development and support of education in UAV and UAS for agriculture
Members are involved in an extensive range of projects including:
- development of UAS operator training programme for the agriculture sector
- research and Development on sensors and UAVs (UK and International)
- engagement with UAS regulatory and policy bodies
UAS SIG outputs include
- UAS in Agriculture Conference Jan 2014
- Drones for Farming Conference Nov 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Code of Conduct for UAV operators – introduced Nov 2014
If you are interested in the UAS Special Interest Group please contact email@example.com.