BASIS - Plant Protection Award (PPA)
11-15 Dec 2017
£625.00 (tuition only)
Examination fee: £374.00
Lunch and beverages: £18 per day
Full residential: £66.50 per day
This course is ideal for agronomists who wish to demonstrate an advanced level of knowledge of crop protection technology. The PPA is the qualification required by the Crop Protection Association of its members who regularly give advice. It covers the technology of crop protection at a more advanced level than the BASIS Certificate in Crop Protection for Field, Sales and Technical Staff. The latter is a pre-requisite for candidates wishing to achieve the PPA. It is strongly recommended that candidates should have had at least two years experience after obtaining the BASIS Certificate in Crop Protection before taking the Plant Protection Award.
As a result of this course, participants will be able to:
- Give reasoned arguments and decisions in support of the most appropriate and safe plant protection practices, including pesticide use in different agricultural and horticultural systems, and in relation to current issues and the concerns of society.
- Select an appropriate formulation to suit the physical, chemical and biological properties of an active ingredient, and efficacy and safety expectations.
- Give advice on the current selection and use of a product in the field.
- Give advice on appropriate conditions, timings, techniques and requirement for applying pesticides efficiently and safely.
- Give advice on the safe storage, handling, transport, use and disposal of pesticides and their containers.
- Plant protection and its implementation in agricultural systems and society.
- Mode of action of pesticides.
- Application techniques.
- Health and safety.
For more detailed information about the syllabus please refer to the BASIS website: www.basis-reg.com
A successful candidate will qualify for the BASIS Plant Protection Award. This course also accrues 30 Continuing Professional Development points.
This course contributes to the BASIS Diploma in Agronomy and the newly accredited Harper Adams University College 'Graduate Diploma in Agronomy with Environmental Management'.
Other relevant courses
- Advanced BASIS Crop Modules
- Biodiversity and Environmental Training for Advisers
- Soil and Water Management