Dr Ivan Grove PhD, BSc (Hons)
Principal Lecturer/Nematode Management and Agronomy Research
- BSc Agriculture: (Agronomy, Advanced Agronomy)
- MSc Nematology, MSc Applied Precision Crop Production
- BASIS Crop protection: Nematode pests and Potato Agronomy
- BASIS Advanced Potato: Potato cyst and Free living nematodes.
- BASIS Soil & Water Management
- Technology transfer for nematode pests & soil/water interactions
- Nematodes and Nematode/Agronomy interactions, focusing on the potato cyst nematodes.
- Specialist areas: Integrated nematode management, nematicides, non- agrochemical nematicidal products (e.g. plant derived products), trap cropping, precision mapping using hyperspectral reflectance (Ground and UAV), agronomic solutions including biofumigation.
- Crop, soil and water interactions in relation to plant stress, crop quality and yield.
- Current PhD supervision: 7 students
- Association of Applied Biologists
- European Society of Nematologists
- UK Irrigation Association
- American society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
- An initial assessment of a novel class of a low risk pesticide, BGT, on potato cyst nematodes (PhD Student: Victoria Taylor) - Supervisor
- Characterisation of Potato Cyst Nematode Populations in Great Britain for Sustainable Crop Management - Second Supervisor
- DRY: Drought Risk and You - Researcher
- Evaluation of a novel nematicide for the use in the management of the potato cyst nematode, Globodera pallida (Student: Patrick Norshie) - Supervisor
- Factors affecting biofumigation success in managing potato cyst nematodes - Supervisor
- Film anti-transpirants to increase yield of droughted wheat - Second Supervisor
- Free Living Nematode Detection using Next Generation Sequencing Technology (PhD student: Mohammed Ahmed) - Director of Study
- Integrated Management of Cyst Nematodes in Oilseed rape - Director of Study
- Interactions of soil water run-off with overhead (centre-pivot) irrigation and soil cultivations - Director of Study
- Minimising post-harvest losses in radish through an understanding of pre and post-harvest factors that influence root splitting - Second Supervisor
- The Effect of Agricultural Management on Collembola communities in Agroecosystems. - Second Supervisor
Harper Adams University supports OpenFields, the online land-based library.
Loading publication details from OpenFields...
- Grove IG & Perry RN (2014) Grove IG & Perry RN. Editorial: The important legacy of the paper by Jones, M.G.K. (1981) Host cell responses to endoparasitic nematode attack: structure and function of giant cells and syncytia. Annals of Applied Biology 97
- Patrick PJ Haydock, Simon R Woods, Ivan G Grove and Martin C Hare. (2013) Chemical Control of Nematodes (259-279) Plant Nematology: Perry RN and Moens M (Eds.) 2nd edition (Published by CAB International, Wallingford, UK)
- Danquah WB, Grove IG, Back MA, , Haydock PPJ. (2013) Effects of a plant extract-based nematicide (G8014S) and its components on the host finding behaviour and multiplication of Globodera pallida on glasshouse-grown potatoes. Nematology 15, 821 - 834 (DOI:10.1163/15685411-00002721)
- Kakaire S, Grove IG & Haydock PPJ. (2012) Effect of temperature on the life cycle of Heterodera schachtii infecting oilseed rape (Brassica napus) Nematology 14 (7) 855-867
- Danquah WB, Back MA, Grove IG and Haydock PPJH. (2011) In vitro nematicidal activity of a garlic extract and salicylaldehyde to the potato cyst nematode, Globodera pallida. Nematology 13 (869-885)
- Minuka Weerasinghe, Peter Kettlewell, Ivan Grove and Martin Hare. (2010) Physiological mechanisms underlying the yield increase of droughted wheat from film antitranspirant application. Aspects of Applied Biology , pp. 25-29. Aspects of Applied Biology 105, Water & nitrogen use efficiency in crops and plants (PP.25-29)
- Saeed H, Grove IG, Kettlewell PS & Hall NW. (2008) Potential of partial rootzone drying as an alternative irrigation technique for potatoes (Solanum tuberosum). Annals of Applied Biology 152 (pp. 71-80)
- Danquah W, Haydock PPJH, Back M, Grove IG, Elliott I and Smedley M. (2008) In vitro studies on the toxicity of plant extracts to Globodera pallida juveniles. Aspects of Applied Nematology. Conference proceedings, December 17th 2008.
- Saeed, H., Grove, I.G., Kettlewell, P.S. and Hall, N.W. (2005) Potato root and shoot growth under different water management strategies. Aspects of Applied Biology. 73: Roots and the Soil Environment II. 85-91.
- Minnis, S.T., Haydock, P.P.J., Ibrahim, S.K., Grove, I.G., Evans, K. and Russell, M.D. (2002) Potato cyst nematodes in England and Wales - occurrence and distribution. Annals of Applied Biology. 140: 187-195.
- Ibrahim, S.K., Minnis, S.T., Barker, A.D.P., Russel, M.D., Haydock, P.P.J., Evans, K., Grove, I.G., Woods, S.R. and Wilcox A. (2001) Evaluation of PCR, IEF and ELISA techniques for the detection and identification of potato cyst nematodes from field soil samples in England and Wales. Pest Management Science. 57: 1068-1074.
- Editor for Annals of Applied Biology
- External PhD and MSc examination
- Radiological Protection Supervisor
Tel: +44 (0)1952 815366
Fax: +44 (0)1952 814783
Academic Department: Crop and Environment Sciences