Dr Andrew Wilcox BSc, MSc, PhD
Head of the Crop and Environment Sciences Department, Principal Lecturer
- Introduction to Ecology (BSc)
- Agriculture & the Environment (BSc)
- Wildlife and Conservation Management (BSc)
- Applied Ecology (BSc)
- Research & Information Skills (MSc)
- Farmland Ecology & Management (MSc)
- Environment Agency Introduction to Agriculture (Short Course)
- BETA Environmental Training for Crop Advisors (Short Course)
My research interests focus on agricultural ecology with a particular reference to conservation of farmland biodiversity. My specific research areas include field margins, beetlebanks and farmland birds.
- British Ecological Society
Harper Adams University supports OpenFields, the online land-based library.
- Zheljazkov V.D., Craker L.E., Xing B., Nielsen N.E. and Wilcox A. (2008) Aromatic plant production on metal contaminated soils. Science of the Total Environment. 395(2-3): pp51-62.
- Cunningham H., Bradbury R, Chaney K. and Wilcox A. (2005) The effect of non-inversion tillage on field usage by UK farmland birds in winter. Bird Study. 52: pp173-179.
- Brooks A.S., Wilcox A, Cook R.T. and Crook M.J. (2005) A laboratory-based comparison of a molluscicide and an alternative food source (red clover) as means of reducing slug damage to winter wheat. Pest Management Science. 61: pp715-720.
- Cunningham H.M., Chaney K., Bradbury R. and Wilcox A. (2004) Non-inversion tillage and farmland birds: A review with special reference to the UK and Europe. IBIS. 146: pp192-202.
- Brooks A.S., Crook M.J., Wilcox A. and Cook R.T. (2003) A laboratory evaluation of the palatability of legumes to the field slug, Deroceras reticulatum. Pest Management Science. 59(3) pp245-251.
- Collins K.L., Boatman N.D., Wilcox A. and Holland J.M. (2003) Effects of different grass treatments used to create overwintering habitat for predatory arthropods on arable farmland. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment. 96 (1-3) pp59-67.
- Collins K.L., Boatman N.D., Wilcox A. and Holland J.M. (2003) A 5-year comparison of overwintering polyphagous predator densities within a beetle bank and two conventional hedgebanks. Annals Of Applied Biology. 143(1) pp63-71.
- Bell J.R., Haughton A.J., Boatman N.D. and Wilcox, A. (2002) Do incremental increases of the herbicide glyphosate have indirect consequences for spider communities? Journal of Arachnology. 30(2) pp288-297.
- Collins K.L., Boatman N.D., Wilcox A., Holland J.M. and Chaney K. (2002) Influence of beetle banks on cereal aphid predation in winter wheat. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment. 93 (1-3) pp337-350.
I enjoy watching and observing wildlife, particularly birds. I am also keen on anything to do with gadgets and technology. Much of my time is currently taken up studying for a postgraduate diploma in Geographical Information Systems by on line distance learning.
- External Examiner, Manchester Metropolitan University
Tel: +44 (0)1952 815373
Fax: +44 (0)1952 814783
Academic Department: Crop and Environment Sciences