Professor Simon Leather BSc CBiol FRES PhD
Professor of Entomology
My main interests centre around biological pest control, mainly of aphids and lepidopteran pests of agriculture, horticulture and forestry. My work has taken me around the world from Iceland to Africa! My main interest at the moment is examining the effect of organic crop production on tri-trophic systems within cereal and crucifer crops, but I am also, in collaboration with the Game Conservancy Trust examining the effect of agricultural practice on aerial predators of cereal pests. We are also involved in work with the Game Conservancy Trust looking at the interactions between cropping systems and game bird population dynamics. I have also been involved in research on biofuel production, in my case short rotation willow and poplar crops. I have worked with Rothamsted Research investigating the population dynamics of willow aphids on different clonal varieties of willow and poplar. My major interest with forestry is with pests of establishment forestry. I have been working on the large pine weevil, Hylobius abietis and the black pine beetle, Hylastes ater for more than 20 years, with a particular interest in their feeding behaviour and reproductive ecology, with the ultimate aim of introducing non-chemical control methods. I have also worked with the green spruce aphid, investigating the factors affecting its population dynamics. For over ten years I was involved with a project investigating the biodiversity of urban geen spaces in Bracknell. I collaborate closely with Paul Pearce-Kelly at London Zoo, latterly with Partula snails and more recently on a project investigating the vectors of avian malaria.
I am also part of a DEFRA funded project in conjunction with Dr Sandra Denman of Forest Research, Alice Holt, investigating the possible role of Agrilus biguttatus as a vector of the bacterium causing Acute Oak Decline.
Course Leader MSc Entomology, MRes Entomology, MSc Conservation & Forest Protection, MSc Ecological Applications and MSc Integrated Pest Management
- Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society
- Member of the British Ecological Society
- Member of the Association of Applied Biologists
- Member of the Society of Biology
- Innovative approaches to integrated pest management in vineyards - Director of Study
- Mechanisms of spread of Acute Oak Decline - Director of Study
- Novel methods for the mass rearing of predatory mites of biological control in glasshouses - Director of Study
- TH103 -Analysis of the Management of Outbreaks of Oak Processionary Moth in the UK - Researcher
- The Effect of Agricultural Management on Collembola communities in Agroecosystems. - Director of Study
- The influence of Syngamus trachea on pheasant populations - Director of Study
- The role of Agrilus biguttatus in Acute Oak Decline - Director of Study
- Tritrophic interactions in mixed vegetable crops - Director of Study
- Why I joined the Twitterati
- Where would Darwin have been without taxonomy?
- Urban biodiversity: insect assemblages
- Taxonomic chauvinism
- Should we name our study animals?
- Shifting baselines, natural history and the envionment
- Roundabouts as nature reserves
- Plant growth stages
- More on institutional vertebratism
- Mee(a)ting issues with the British Ecological Society
- Magic roundabouts - teaching aids for biodiversity?
- Institutional vertebratism
- How prepared is the UK to combat future and current threats to forests?
- Biodiversity on urban roundabouts
- Didham, R.K., Leather, S.R. & Basset, Y. (2016) Circle the bandwagons - challenges mount against the theoretical foundations of applied functional trait and ecosystem service research. Insect Conservation & Diversity 9: 1-3
- Leather, S.R. (2016) A 5-year vision for Annals of Applied Biology. Annals of Applied Biology 168: 1
- Gethings, O.J., Sage, R.B. & Leather, S.R. (2016) Density-dependent regulation of fecundity in Syngamus trachea infrapopulations in semi-naturally occurring ring-necked pheasants (Phasianus colchicus) and wild Carrion Crows (Corvus corone) Parasitology 143: 716-722
- Leather, S.R. (2016) Mee(a)ting issues with the British Ecological society - why I boycotted the 2015 annual meeting BES Bulletin 47: 71-72
- Midthassel, A., Leather, S.R., Wright, D.J. & Baxter, I.H. (2016) Compatibility of Amblyseius swirskii with Beauveria bassiana: two potentially complimentray biocontrol agents BioControl 61: 437-447
- Gethings, O.J., Sage, R.B., Morgan, E.R. & Leather. S.R. (2016) Body condition is negatively associated with infection with Syngamus trachea in the ring-necked pheasant (Phasianus coclhicus) Veterinary Parasitology 228: 1-5
- Leather, S.R. (2016) To name or not to name Biosphere 18: 19-20
- Rowley, C., Cherrill, A., Leather, S., Nicholls, C., Ellis, S. & Pope, T. (2016) A review of the biology, ecology and control of saddle gall midge, Haplodiplosis marginata (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) with a focus on phenological forecasting. Annals of Applied Biology 169: 167-179
- Midthassel,A., Leather,S. Wright,D.J.,Baxter,I.H., Farman,D.I. & Cork, A. (2016) An astigmatid defence volatile against a phytoseiid mite Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 158: 97-107
- McHugh, N.M., Prior, M., Leather, S.R. & Holland, J.M. (2016) The diet of Eurasian Tree Sparrow Passer montanus nestling in relation to agri-environment scheme habitats. Bird Study 63: 279-283
- Pastorino, G.G., Albertini, M., Carlsen, F., Cunningham, A.A., Daniel, B.A., Flach, E., Hofer, H., Junhold, J., Kock, R., Leather,S., Masters, N., Preziosi, R., Routh, A., Sainsbury, A.W., Sato, Y., Spencer, W. & Pearce-Kelly, P. (2015) Project MOSI:rationale and pilot-study results of an initiative to help protect zoo animals from mosquito-transmitted pathogens and contribute data on mosquito spatio-temporal distribution change. International Zoo Yearbook 49: 172-188
- Leather, S.R. (2015) Why I joined the Twitterati: Blogs, tweets & talks - making entomology visible Antenna 39: 37-39
- Banfield-Zanin, J.A. & Leather, S.R. (2015) Reproduction of an arboreal aphid pest, Elatobium abietinum, is altered under drought stress. Journal of Applied Entomology 139: 302-313
- Benelli, M., Leather, S.R., Francati, S., Marchetti, E. & Dindo, M.L. (2015) Effect of two temperatures on biological traits and susceptibility to a pyrethroid insecticide in an exotic and native coccinellid species. Bulletin of Insectology 68: 23-29
- Gethings, O.J., Sage, R.B. & Leather, S.R. (2015) Spatial distribution of infectious stages of the nematode Syngamus trachea within pheasant Phasianus colchicus) release pens on estates in the South West of England: potential density dependence? Veterinary Parasitology 212: 267-274
- Banfield-Zanin, J.A. & Leather, S.R. (2015) Drought intensity and frequency have contrasting effects on development time and survival of the green spruce aphid Agricultural & Forest Entomology 17: 309-316
- Aqueel, M.A., Abu-Bakar, M.R., Balal, R.M., Shahid, M.A., Mustfa, I., Javiad, M.M. & Leather, S.R. (2015) Tritrophic interactions between parasitoids and cereal aphids are mediated by nitrogen ferilizer. Insect Science 22: 818-820
- Leather, S.R. (2015) An entomological classic - the Pooter or insect aspirator British Journal of Entomology & Natural History 28: 2-54
- Banfield-Zanin, J.A. & Leather, S.R. (2015) Season and drought stress mediate growth and weight of the green spruce aphid on Sitka spruce. Agricultural & Forest Entomology 17: 48-56
- Leather, S.R., Basset, Y. & Didham, R.K. (2015) Expanding horizons and widening participation in Insect Conservation and Diversity. Insect Conservation & Diversity 8: 1-2
- Leather, S.R. (2015) Onwards and upwards - aphid flight trends follow climate change Journal of Animal Ecology 84: 1-3
- Gethings, O.J., Sage, R.B. & Leather, S.R. (2015) Spatio-temporal factors influencing the occurrence of Sygamus trachea within release pens in the South West of England. Veterinary Parasitology 207: 64-71
- Leather, S.R. (2015) Influential entomology: a short review of the scientific, societal,economic and educational services provided by entomology. Ecological Entomology 40 (Suppl. 1), 36-44
- Jeffs, C.T. & Leather, S.R. (2014) Effects of extreme, fluctuating temperature events on life history traits of the grain aphid, Sitobion avenae Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 150: 240-249
- Azevedo, R.A., Lea, P.J., Leather, S.R., McNicol, J.W., Millman, C.A., Haslam, R.P. & Valkonen, J.P.T. (2014) The centenary of Annals of Applied Biology in 2014 Annals of Applied Biology 164: 1-7
- Aqueel, M.A., Collins, C.M., Raza, A.M., Ahmad, S. Tariq, M. & Leather, S.R. (2014) Effect of plant nutrition on aphid size, prey consumption, and life history characteristics of green lacewing Insect Science 21: 74-82
- Midthassel, A., Leather, S.R. Wright, D.J. & Baxter, I.H. (2014) The functional and numerical response of Typhlodromips swirskii (Acari: Phytoseiidae) to the factitious prey Suidasia medanensis (Acari: Suidasidae) in the context of a breeding sachet. Biocontrol Science & Technology 24: 361-374
- Leather, S.R. (2014) Current and future threats to UK forestry Outlooks on Pest Management 25: 22-24
- Leather, S.R. (2014) What attracts aphids - Kennedy, Booth and Kershaw (1961): host finding by aphis in the field III. Visual attraction - a top 20 paper in the Annals of Applied Biology. Annals of Applied Biology 165: 1-2
- Banfield-Zanin, J.A. & Leather, S.R. (2014) (2014) Frequency and intensity of drought stress alters the population size and dynamics of Elatobium abietinum on Sitka spruce. Annals of Applied Biology 165: 260-269
- Ramsden, M.W., Menendez, R., Leather, S.R. & Wackers, F. (2014) Optimizing field margins for biocontrol services: The relative role of aphid abundance, annual floral resources, and overwinter habitat in enhancing aphid natural enemies. Agriculture Ecosytems & Environment 199: 94-104
- Leather, S.R. (2014) How Stephen Jay Gould wrote Macbeth - Not giving credit where it's due: lazy referencing and ignoring precedence Ideas in Ecology & Evolution 7: 38-40
- Leather, S.R., Baumgart, E.A., Evans, H.F. & Quicke, D.L.J. (2014) Seeing the trees for the wood - beech (Fagus sylvatica) decay fungal volatiles influence the structure of saproxylic beetle communities. Insect Conservation & Diversity 7: 314-326
- Cooper, L.C., Desjonqueres, C. & Leather, S.R. (2014) Cannibalism in the pea aphid, Acythrosiphon pisum. Insect Science 21:750-758.
- Fray, L.M., Leather, S.R., Powell, G., Slater, R., McIndoe, E. & Lind, R.J. (2014) Behavioural avoidance and enhanced dispersal in neonicotinoid-resistant Myzus persicae (Sulzer) Pest Management Science 70: 88-96
- Leather, S.R. (2014) How prepared is the UK to combat current and future threats to forests? Commonwealth Forestry Association Newsletter 64: 10-11
- Leather, S.R. (2014) Modifying glucosinolates in oilseed rape - Giamoustaris & Mithen (1995: a top-twenty paper in the Annals of Applied Biology Annals of Applied Biology 164:318-319
- Leather, S.R. (2013) Institutional vertebratism hampers insect conservation generally; not just saproxylic beetle conservation Animal Conservation 16: 379-380
- Didham, R.K., Edwards, O.R., Leather, S.R. & Basset, Y. (2013) Arthropod diversity and the future of all-taxa inventories Insect Conservation & Diversity 6: 1-4
- Aqueel, M.A. & Leather, S.R. (2013) Virulence of Verticillium lecanii (Z.) against cereal aphids; does timing of infection affect the performance of parasitoids and predators? Pest Management Science 69: 493-498
- Midthassel, A., Leather, S.R. & Baxter, I.H. (2013) Life table parameters and capture success ratio studies of Typhlodromips swirskii (Acari: Phytoseiidae) to the factitious prey Suidasia medanensis (Acari: Suidasidae) Experimental & Applied Acaralogy, 61: 71-78
- Goodwin, C.G., McHigh, N., Holland, J.M. & Leather, S.R. (2013) The influence of Environmental Stewardship (ES) summer foraging habitat on the territory selection of yellowhammer, Emberiza citrinella Aspects of Applied Biology 118, 277-282
- Pringle, H.E.K., Leather, S.R. & Sage, R.B. (2013) Miscanthus as a nesting habitat for lapwings, Vanellus vanellus Aspects of Applied Biology 118, 265-270
- McHugh, N.M., Hughes, S., Leather, S.R., Stilman, R. & Holland, J.M. (2013) Yellowhammer breeding distribution in relation to filed boundary habitat and summe foraging resources Aspects of Applied Biology 118, 297-302
- Sconce, F.B., Leather, S.R. & Grove, I.G. (2013) Springing into action? Collembola in agroecosystems Aspects of Applied Biology 118, 307-308
- Ramsden, M., Menendez, R., Leather, S.R. & Wackers, F. (2013) The enhancement of conservation biological control through targeted landscape management Aspects of Applied Biology 118, 119-126
- Bishop, T.R., Botham, M.S., Fox, R., Leather, S.R., Chapman, D.S. & Oliver, T.H. (2013) The utility of distribution data in predicting phenology Methods in Ecology & Evolution 4: 1024-1032
- Jones, E.L & Leather, S.R. (2012) Invertebrates in urban areas: a review European Journal of Entomology 109
- Leather (2012) The natural home for agricultural entomologists? Annals of Applied Biology 161
- Aqueel, M. A., & Leather, S. R. (2012) Nitrogen fertiliser affects the functional response and prey consumption of Harmonia axyridis (Coleoptera: Coccinelldiae) feeding on cereal aphids. Annals of Applied Biology 160
- Aradottir, G. I., Hanley, S. J., Collins, C. M., Dawson, K. J., Karp, A., Leather, S. R. & Harrington, R. (2012) Population genetics of Tuberolachnus salignus, an obligate parthenogenetic aphid. Agricultural and Forest Entomology 14
- Banfield-Zanin, J. A., Rossiter, J. T., Wright, D. J., Leather, S. R., & Staley, J. T. (2012) Predator mortality depends on whether its prey feeds on organic or conventionally fertilised plants. Biological Control 63
- Cameron, K. H., & Leather, S. R. (2012) How good are carabid beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae) as indicators of invertebrate abundance and order richness? Biodiversity and Conservation 21
- Cameron, K. H., & Leather, S. R. (2012) Heathland management effects on carabid beetle communities: the relationship between bare ground patch size and carabid biodiversity. Journal of Insect Conservation 16
- Helden, A.J., Stamp, G.C. & Leather, S.R. (2012) Urban biodiversity: comparison of insect assemblages on native and non-native trees. Urban Ecosystems 15
- Oliver, T. H., Leather, S. R., & Cook, J. M. (2012) Ant larval demand reduces aphid colony growth rates in an ant-aphid interaction Insects 3
- Pope, T. W., Girling, R. D., Staley, J. T., Trigodet, B., Wright, D. J., Leather, S. R., Poppy,G. M. (2012) Effects of organic and conventional fertilizer treatments on host selection by the aphid parasitoid Diaeretiella rapae. Journal of Applied Entomology 136
- Shrewsbury, P. M., & Leather, S. R. (2012) Using biodiversity for pest suppression in urban landscapes. (G. M. Gurr, S. D. Wratten, W. E. Snyder & D. M. Y. Read (Eds.), Biodiversity and Insect Pests: key Issues for Sustainable Management (pp. 294-308). Oxford: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.)
- Stafford, D.B., Tariq, M., Wright, D.J., Rossiter, J.T., Kazana, E., Leather, S.R. & Staley,J.T. (2012) Opposing effects of organic and conventional fertilzers on the performance of a generalist and a specialist aphid species. Agricultural & Forest Entomology 14
- Wilson, M.R. & Leather, S.R. (2012) The effect of past natural enemey activity on host-plant preference of two aphid species. Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 144
- Butler, J., Garratt, M.P.D. & Leather, S.R. (2012) Fertilisers and insect herbivores: a review. Annals of Applied Biology 161
- Adu-Acheampong, R., Archer, S. & Leather, S.R. (2012) Resistance to dieback disease caused by Fusarium and Lasiodiplodia species in cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) genotypes Experimental Agriculture 48
- Sharma, M.V., Collins, C.M. & Leather, S.R. (2012) Anthropogenic influences on wild nutmeg fruit crop in the Western Ghats of India Journal of Sustainable Forestry 31
- Ramsden, M., Menendez, M., Leather, S. & Wackers, F. (2012) Effect of additional resources on aphidophagous parasitoid wasp activity on field margins in arable landscapes IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 75: 161-165
- Leather, S.R., Didham, R.K., & Basset, Y. (2011) Insect Conservation and Diversity - making an impact. Insect Conservation & Diversity 4
- Aqueel, M.A. & Leather, S.R. (2011) Effect of nitrogen fertilizer on the growth and survival of Rhopalosiphum padi (L.) and Sitobion avenae (F.) (Homoptera: Aphididae) on different wheat cultivars. Crop Protection 30
- Garratt, M. P. D., Wright, D. J., & Leather, S. R. (2011) The effects of farming system and fertilisers on pests and natural enemeies: a synthesis of current research. Agriculture Ecossytems & Environment 141
- Gouveia, A.R., Pearce-Kelly, P., Quicke, D.L.J. & Leather, S.R. (2011) Effects of different calcium concentrations supplelented on the diet of Partual gibba on their morphometric growth parameters, weight and reproduction success. Malacologia 54
- Sharma, M. V., Shaanker, R. U., Leather, S. R., Vasudeva, R., & Shivanna, K. R. (2011) Floral resources, pollinators and fruiting in a thratened tropical deciduous tree. Journal of Plant Ecology, 4
- Staley, J.T., Girling, R.D., Stewart-Jones, A., Poppy, G.M., Leather, S.R. & Wright, D.J. (2011) Organic and conventional fertilizer effects on a tri-trophic interaction: parasitism, performance and preference of Cotesia vestalis. Journal of Applied Entomology 135
- Staley, J. T., Stafford, D. R., Green, E. R., Leather, S. R., Rossiter, J. T., Poppy, G. M., & Wright, D. J. (2011) Plant nutrient supply determines competition between phytophagous insects. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London 278
- Leather, S.R. (2010) Precise knowledge of plant growth stage enhances applied and pure research. Annals of Applied Biology 157
- Didham, R.K., Basset, Y. & Leather, S.R. (2010) Research needs in insect conservation and diversity. Insect Conservation & Diversity 3
- Garratt, M.P.D., Leather, S.R., & Wright, D.J. (2010) Tritrophic effects of organic and conventional fertilisers on a cereal aphid-parasitoid system. Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 134
- Garratt, M.P.D., Wright, D.J. & Leather, S.R. (2010) The effects of organic and conventional fertilizers on cereal aphids and their natural enemies. Agricultural & Forest Entomology 12
- Staley, J. T., Stewart-Jones, A., Pope, T. W., Wright, D. J., Leather, S. R., Hadley, P., Rositer, J.T., Van Emden, H.F.&. Poppy, G. M. (2010) Varying responses of insect herbivores to altered plant chemistry under organic and conventional treatments. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 277
- Leather, S.R. & Quicke, D.J.L. (2010) Do shifting baselines in natural history knowledge threaten the environment? Environmentalist, 30
- Leather, S.R. (2009) Taxonomic chauvinism threatens the future of entomology. Biologist 56
- Leather, S.R. (2009) Institutional vertebratism threatens UK food security. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24
- Straw, N.A., Timms, J.E.L., & Leather, S.R. (2009) Variation in the abundance of invertebrate predators of the green spruce aphid Elatobium abietinum (Walker) (Homoptera: Aphididae) along an altitudinal transect Forest Ecology & Management 258
- Archetti, M., Döring, T.F., Hagen, S.B., Hughes, N.M., Leather, S.R., Lee, D.W., Lev-Yadun, S., Manetas, Y., Ougham, H.J.,Schaberg, P.G., & Thomas, H (2009) Response to Sinkkonen: Ultraviolet reflectance in autumn leaves and the un-naming of colours Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24
- Basset, Y., Hawkins, B.A. & Leather, S.R. (2009) Visions for insect conservation and diversity: spanning the gap between practice and theory Insect Conservation & Diversity 2
- Oliver, T.H., Leather, S.R., & Cook, J.M. (2009) Tolerance traits and the stability of mutualism Oikos 118
- Archetti, M., Döring, T.F., Hagen, S.B., Hughes, N.M., Leather, S.R., Lee, D.W., Lev-Yadun, S., Manetas, Y., Ougham, H.J.,Schaberg, P.G., & Thomas, H (2009) Unravelling the evolution of autumn colours: an interdisciplinary approach Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24
- Aradotiir, G., Karp, A., Hanley, S., Shield, I., Woodcock, C., Dewhirst, S., Collins, M., Leather, S. & Harrington, R. (2009) Host selection of the giant willow aphid (Tuberolachnus salignus. Redia 92: 223-225
- Timms, J.E.L., Oliver, T.H., Straw, N.A. & Leather, S.R. (2008) (2008) The effects of host plant on the coccinellid functional response: is the conifer specialist Aphidecta obliterata (L.) (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) better adapted to spruce than the generalist Adalia bipunctata (L.) (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae)? Biological Control, 47: 273-281
- Leather, S.R., Basset, Y. & Hawkins, B.A. (2008) Insect Conservation and Diversity - a new journal for the Royal Entomological Society. Insect Conservation & Diversity 1: 1
- Leather, S.R., Basset, Y. & Hawkins, B.A. (2008) Insect conservation: finding the way forward Insect Conservation & Diversity 1: 67-69
- Fuller, R.J., Oliver, T.H., & Leather, S.R. (2008) Forest management effects on carabid beetle communities in coniferous and broadleaved forests: implications for conservation Insect Conservation & Diversity 1: 242-252.
- Hicks, B.J., Leather, S.R., & Watt, A.D. (2008) Changing dynamics of the pine beauty moth Panolis flammea) in Britain: the loss of enemy free space? Agricultural & Forest Entomology 10: 263-271.
- Oliver, T.H., Leather, S.R. & Cook, J.M. (2008) Macroevolutionary patterns in the origin of mutualisms. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21: 1597-1608
- Oliver, T.H., Pettitt, T., Leather, S.R., & Cook, J.M. (2008) Numerical abundance of invasive ants and monopolisation of exudate-producing resources - a chicken and egg situation Insect Conservation & Diversity 1: 208-214.
- Oliver, T.H., Jones, I., Cook, J.M., & Leather, S.R. (2008) Avoidance responses of an aphidophagous ladybird, Adalia bipunctata, to aphid-tending ants Ecological Entomology 33: 523-528.
- Pigot, A.L. & Leather, S.R. (2008) Invertebrate predators drive distance-dependent patterns of seedling mortality in a temperate tree Acer pseudoplatanus Oikos 117: 521-530.
- Rhainds, M., Leather, S.R. & Sadoff, C (2008) Polyphagy, flightlessness and reproductive output of females: a case study with bagworms (Lepidoptera: Psychidae) Ecological Entomology 33: 663-672
- Timms, J.E.L. & Leather, S.R. (2008) How do consumption and development rates of the conifer specialist Aphidecta obliterata respond to temperature, and is it better adapted to limited prey than a generalist? Annals of Applied Biology 153: 63-71.
- Döring T F, Hardie, J., Leather, S. Spaethe, J. & Chittka, L (2008) Can aphids play football? Antenna 32: 146-147
- Hicks, B.J., Aegerter, J.N., Leather, S.R. & Watt, A.D. (2007) Differential rates of parasitism of the pine beauty moth (Panolis flammea) depends on host tree species Scottish Forestry 61: 5-10
- Timms, J.E.L. & Leather, S.R. (2007) Ladybird egg cluster size: relationships between species, oviposition substrate and cannibalism. Bulletin of Entomological Research 97: 613-618
- Oliver, T.H., Mashanova, A., Leather, S.R., Cook, J.M. & Janssen, V.A. (2007) Ant semiochemical limit apterous aphid dispersal. Proceedings of the Royal Society (B). 274: 3127-3131
- Hicks, B.J., Aegerter, J.N., Leather, S.R. & Watt, A.D. (2007) Differential rates of parasitism of the pine beauty moth (Panolis flammea) depends on host tree species. Scottish Forestry 61: 5-10
- Oliver, T.H., Cook, J.M., & Leather, S.R. (2007) When are ant-attractant devices a worthwhile investment? Vicia faba extrafloral nectaries and Lasius niger ants. Population Ecology 49: 265-273
- Leahy, M.J.A., Oliver, T.H. & Leather, S.R. (2007) Feeding behaviour of the black pine beetle, Hylastes ater (Coleoptera:Scolytidae). Agricultural & Forest Entomology 9: 115-124
- Day, K.R., Docherty, M., Leather, S.R., & Kidd, N.A.C. (2006) The role of generalist insect predators and pathogens in suppressing green spruce aphid populations through direct mortality and mediation of aphid dropping behaviour. Biological Control 38: 233-246
- Nunes, L.F., Silva, I., Pité, M., Rego, F.C., Leather, S.R., & Serrano, A. (2006) Carabid (Coleoptera) community change following prescribed burning and the potential use of carabids as indicator species to evaluate the effects of fire management in Mediterranean regions. Silva Lusitania 14: 85-100.
- Oliver, T.H., Timms, J.E.L., Taylor, A., & Leather, S.R. (2006) Oviposition responses to patch quality in the larch ladybird Aphidecta obliterata (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae): effects of aphid density, and con-and heterospecific tracks. Bulletin of Entomological Research 96: 25-34
- Rose, D.R., Matthews, G.A., & Leather, S.R. (2006) Sub-lethal responses of the large pine weevil, Hylobius abietis, to the pyrethroid insecticide lambda-chhalothrin. Physiological Entomology, 31: 316-327.
I am a Seniorof Insect Conservation & Diversity, Editor-in-Chief and Senior Editor (Invertebrates and pests) of Annals of Applied Biology and serve on the editorial boards of Ecological Entomology and Agricultural & Forest Entomology.
I serve on the Publications Committee, The Wallace Award Committee and the Conservation Commitee of the Royal Entomological Scoiety.
I am a trustee of the Scottish Forestry Trust.
I am part of the Tree Health & Plant Biosecurity Expert Taskforce
I am a member of the Steering Advisory Group for the Environmental Change Network.