Dr Matthew Back BSc, MSc, PhD
Reader in Nematology
Teaching and Learning
- BSc:Crop Protection Technology, Advanced Agronomy, Applied Crop Protection
- MSc: Plant Health Management, Applied Precision Crop Production, Advanced Agronomy for Fresh Produce
- MSc Plant Pathology
- Supervision of PhD students: Victoria Taylor, Katazyna Dybal-Lima, Alexander McCormack, William Watts, Hadi Alliki, Emily Forbes and Mohammed Ahmed
- Involvement in Short Courses: Consice BASIS, Plant Protection Award, Advanced Potato BASIS (Course Manager), Grassland BASIS, AATP Advanced Practitioner in Potato Production & Management - Crop Protection (Course Manager)
- Plant pathology and nematology
- Potato cyst nematodes
- Disease complexes involving nematodes and soil borne pathogens
- Biofumigation of crop pests and diseases - see International Biofumigation Network: www.harper-adams.ac.uk/initiatives/integrated-pest-management/biofumigation/
- Biology and epidemiology of Fusarium langsethiae
- Management of diseases caused by Rhizoctonia solani
- Sustainable/Non-chemical methods of pest and disease management
- Association of Applied Biologists - Convenor of the Nematology Group
- European Society of Nematologists
- British Society of Plant Pathology
- An evaluation of a novel nematicide for the control of potato cyst nematodes - Researcher
- An initial assessment of a novel class of a low risk pesticide, BGT, on potato cyst nematodes - Director of Study
- Assessing the impact of root lesion nematode (Pratylenchus spp) infestations on the production of potatoes - Director of Study
- Characterisation of Potato Cyst Nematode Populations in Great Britain for Sustainable Crop Management - Director of Study
- Evaluation of a novel nematicide for the use in the management of the potato cyst nematode, Globodera pallida (Student: Patrick Norshie) - Director of Study
- Factors affecting biofumigation success in managing potato cyst nematodes - Director of Study
- Free Living Nematode Detection using Next Generation Sequencing Technology - Director of Study
- Management of potato cyst nematodes with biofumigation - Researcher
- Soil borne pathogens of Oilseed rape: assessing their distribution and potential contribution to yield decline - Director of Study
- The relationship between biofumigant plants and club root (Plamodiophora brassicae) disease - Researcher
- The use of Brassica species for the Management of Potato Cyst Nematode Infestations of Potatoes - Director of Study
- Weed control using allelopathic plant species - Second supervisor
Harper Adams University supports OpenFields, the online land-based library.
Loading publication details from OpenFields...
- Ahmed M, Sapp M, Prior T, Karssen G, Back M. (2015) Nematode taxonomy: from morphology to metabarcoding. SOIL Discuss 2:1175-1220
- Ngala BM, Woods S, Back MA. (2015) Sinigrin degradation and G. pallida suppression in soil cultivated with brassicas under controlled environmental conditions Applied Soil Ecology 95:9-14
- Ngala BM, Woods S, Back MA. (2015) In vitro assessment of Brassica juncea and Raphanus sativus leaf and root extracts on the viability of Globodera pallida encysted eggs Nematology 17(3)
- Aliki HM, Reade JPH, Back MA. (2015) Effects of concentrations of Brassica napus (L.) water extracts on the germination and growth of weed species. Allelopathy Journal 34(2): 287-298
- Ngala BM, Haydock PPJ, Woods S, Back MA. (2014) Biofumigation with Brassica juncea, Raphanus sativus and Eruca sativa for the Management of Field Populations of the Potato Cyst Nematode Globodera pallida. Pest Management Science 71(5): 759-69
- Imathiu S, Edwards S, Ray R, Back M. (2014) Artificial inoculum sources and inoculation techniques commonly used in the investigation of fusarium head blight in cereals Acta Phytopathologica et Entomologica Hungarica 49(2): 129-139
- Aliki HM, Reade JPH, Back MA. (2014) Effects of concentrations of Brassica napus (L.) water extracts on the germination and growth of weed species. Allelopathy Journal 34 (2): 287-298
- Watts WDJ, Grove IG, Tomalin GR, Back MA. (2014) Field screening of biofumigant species for the reduction of potato cyst nematodes (Globodera sp.) Aspects of Applied Biology 126: 145-151
- Back MA, Barker A, Evans KA. (2014) Management of potato cyst nematodes using biofumigation. 5th International Symposium of Biofumigation, Harper Adams University, UK.
- Ngala BM, Haydock PPJ, Woods S, Back MA. (2014) Biofumigation with Brassica juncea, Eruca sativa and Raphanus sativus for the management of field populations of G. pallida 6th International Symposium of Nematology, Capetown, South Africa
- Ngala BM, Haydock PPJ, Woods S, Back MA. (2014) Hatching activity of Globodera pallida post exposure to brassica extracts. 5th International Symposium of Biofumigation, Harper Adams University, UK.
- Back MA. (2014) What are PCN pathotypes? Potato Review November/December
- Reade JPH, Aliki H, Back MA. (2014) Does biofumigation offer a realistic alternative to herbicides for weed management. Aspects of Applied Biology 126: 93-99
- Ngala BM, Haydock PPJ, Woods S, Back MA. (2014) Biofumigation with Brassica juncea, Raphanus sativus and Eruca sativa for the Management of Field Populations of the Potato Cyst Nematode Globodera pallida Pest Management Science DOI: 10.1002/ps.3849
- Opoku N, Back M, Edwards SG. (2013) Development of Fusarium langsethiae in commercial cereal production. European Journal of Plant Pathology 136:159–170
- Danquah WB, Grove IG, Back MA, , Haydock PPJ. (2013) Effects of a plant extract-based nematicide (G8014S) and itscomponents on the host finding behaviour and multiplication of Globodera pallida on glasshouse-grown potatoes. Nematology In press
- McCormack AW, Woodhall JW, Back MA and Peters JC. (2013) Rhizoctonia solani AG3-PT infecting maize stem bases and roots in the United Kingdom. New Disease Reports 27: 22.
- Edwards SG, Imathiu SM, Ray RV, Back MA, Hare MC. (2012) Molecular studies to identify the Fusarium species responsible for HT-2 and T-2 mycotoxins in UK oats. International Journal of Food Microbiology 156(2):168-175
- Imathiu SM, Edwards SG, Ray RV, Back MA. (2012) Fusarium langsethiae – a HT-2 and T-2 toxins producer that needs more attention. Journal of Phytopathology 161(1): 1-10
- Danquah WB, Back MA, Grove IG, Haydock PPJ. : (2011) In vitro nematicidal activity of a garlic extract and salicylaldehyde to the potato cyst nematode, Globodera pallida. Nematology 13(7): 869-885
- Opoku N, Back M, Edwards SG. (2011) Aggressiveness of Fusarium langsethiae isolates towards wheat, barley and oats in an in vitro leaf assay. Plant Breeding and Seed Science 64: 55-63.
- Back M, Jenkinson P, Deliopoulos T and Haydock P (2010) Modifications in the potato rhizosphere during infestations of Globodera rostochiensis and subsequent effects on the growth of Rhizoctonia solani European Journal of Plant Pathology 128(4)
- Bhattarai Shuvash, Haydock P, Back M, Hare M, Lankford W (2010) Interactions between field populations of the potato cyst nematode Globodera pallida and Rhizoctonia solani diseases of potatoes under controlled environment and glasshouse conditions Nematology 12(5)
- Imathiu SM, Hare MC, Ray RV, Back M and Edwards SG (2010) Evaluation of pathogenicity and aggressiveness of F. langsethiae on oat and wheat seedlings relative to known seedling blight pathogens European Journal of Plant Pathology 126
- Imathiu SM, Ray RV, Back M, Hare MC and Edwards SG (2009) Fusarium langsethiae pathogenicity and agressiveness towards oats and wheat in wounded and unwounded in vitro detached leaf assays. European Journal of Plant Pathology 124
- Bhattarai S, Haydock PPJ, Back MA, Hare MC and Lankford WT (2009) Interactions between the potato cyst nematodes, Globodera pallida, g. rostochiensis, and soil-borne fungus, Rhizoctonia solani (AG3), diseases of potatoes in the glasshouse and the field. Nematology 11(4)
- Back MA. (2009) Understanding nematode-fungus disease complexes of field crops (Presentaion given at XLII Brazilian Phytopathological Congress 3rd-7th August, Rio de Janeiro)
- Back MA (2008) Interactions between population densities of the nematode Globodera pallida and Rhizoctonia diseases of potatoes under controlled environment conditions. (Presentation given at 4th International Symposium on Rhizoctonia 20-22nd August, Berlin)
- Back M, Haydock PPJ and Jenkinson P (2006) Interactions between the potato cyst nematode Globodera rostochiensis and diseases caused by Rhizoctonia solani AG3 in potatoes under field conditions European Journal of Plant Pathology 126
- Back M.A., Heath W., Edwards S., Haydock P.P.J., Grove I.G.G. and Minnis S. (2004) Development of a robust assay to assess the viability of potato cyst nematodes. DEFRA. HPO143. 39p.
- Back M.A., Jenkinson P. and Haydock P.P.J. (2003) Determination of the mechanisms involved in the Globodera rostochiensis - Rhizoctonia solani disease complex of potato. Presentation given at the 8th International Congress for Plant Pathology, Christchurch, New Zealand. 2-7 February 2003.
- Back M.A., Haydock P.P.J. and Jenkinson P. (2002) Disease complexes involving plant parasitic nematodes and soil-borne pathogens. Plant Pathology. 51, 683-97.
- Back M.A., Jenkinson P. and Haydock P.P.J. (2002) The effect of granular nematicides on the development of Rhizoctonia solani diseases and their interaction with Globodera rostochiensis on potato. Brighton Crop Protection Conference Pests and Diseases. 2, 777-80.
- Back M.A., Jenkinson P. and Haydock P.P.J. (2002) Elucidation of the interaction between the fungal pathogen Rhizoctonia solani and the cyst nematode Globodera rostochiensis in potatoes. Presentation given at The British Society for Plant Pathology - Presidential meeting (Plant Pathology and Global Food Security). 8-10 July 2002.
- Back M.A., Jenkinson P. and Haydock P.P.J. (2001) A disease complex of potato involving the fungal pathogen Rhizoctonia solani (AG3) and the nematode Globodera rostochiensis. Presentation given at The Association of Applied Biologists - Offered Papers in Nematology, The Linnean Society, London. 11 December 2001.
- Back M.A., Jenkinson P. and Haydock P.P.J. (2000) The interaction between potato cyst nematodes and Rhizoctonia solani diseases in potatoes. Brighton Crop Protection Conference Pests and Diseases. 1, 503-6.
- Back M.A., Jenkinson P. and Haydock P.P.J. (2000) Field experimentation to investigate the interaction between Globodera rostochiensis and Rhizoctonia solani diseases in potatoes. Association of Applied Biologists - Offered Papers in Nematology. 12 December 2000.