Skip to main content
Joining Instructions

Frequently Asked Questions

When will I get my timetable?

Your timetable can be found by clicking the button below:

Download timetable

All modules are taught on campus in one or two week blocks.

When do I choose my modules?

Once enrolled you will be able to access the online induction and complete your module choice selection for the academic year 2022/3. Please look out for these emails with instructions.

When do I enrol?

Postgraduate online enrolment will be sent out week commencing 5 September 2022 with full instructions. This will have to be completed by Monday 12 September. NB During online enrolment you will have to upload your photo for your ID card and ‘right to study’ documents (details of these will be included in the instructions).

When do I pay my fees?

Information about fees are listed on the fees and funding page.

What about accommodation?

Full time students only

The Accommodation Office at Harper Adams is located within Student Services and we are here to support you and to provide advice about your accommodation needs. We appreciate that your requirements may be different to undergraduate students. The vast majority of postgraduate students live off campus in private rental accommodation or lodgings and there is no shortage of this in the area. Please bear in mind that the postgraduate accommodation available on campus is limited (and may not be available) but we will assist you in securing suitable accommodation.

Once you have accepted your offer you will receive an email from the accommodation office with instructions on how to apply

Part time students only

Part-time students can arrange accommodation for when they will be on campus by contacting the Conference Office on 01952 815324 – this is available to book now. If there is no accommodation available they have an extensive list of local Bed and Breakfasts.

Terms and conditions

Read the terms and conditions for accommodation on-site at Harper Adams.

Will my personal belongings be safe?

On campus accommodation includes standard contents cover from Endsleigh, details of this will be included as part of your accommodation acceptance process. We would advise you to read this carefully, and arrange additional insurance where required. You should also take steps to ensure the safety of your belongings such as closing windows and keeping doors to the room and flat/house locked when not present or being aware of what might be going on. Equally all students must not prop open the front door to any residential buildings – the same common sense that you would apply at home, apply it in your student accommodation to help keep your personal belongings safe. 

If you will be living off campus, you are strongly advised to arrange insurance cover for your personal belongings. Many insurance companies offer reasonably priced contents insurance for students and landlords may require to see evidence of such before you move in.

The University accepts no responsibility whatsoever for loss or damage, by theft, fire or other cause, of personal property or money on campus. 

How do I let you know about a change to my personal details?

As part of online enrolment, you will have checked and provided us with some of your personal details. If any of these have changed, you should notify a member of the Admissions team at registration. Alternatively, you are welcome to email the team at at any point in advance of registration. Once you are a registered student you will be able to use the self-service function within the student portal.

What clothing/equipment will I need to bring with me?

A list of charges, clothing and equipment needed for specific courses can be found on our website: Charges and Fees. Please refer to the accommodation kit list: Accommodation Checklist. For other things you need to consider if you are living on site. Please ensure that you have made the necessary arrangements to have everything you need in time for commencing the course.

Do I need to name tag all of my clothes?

Yes (if you are in a hall with laundry)! With over 600 students living on campus our efficient laundry staff need to know exactly whose clothes belong to whom, just in case the odd sock or t-shirt goes astray during the washing and ironing process. Your washing will need to be sent to the Laundry in an appropriate laundry bag (cotton/linen and non-wired), which must also be clearly labelled with your name. You will only need to tag clothes which will be sent to the laundry, so if you are in halls where this is not available, or choose not to use it then you do not need to tag your clothes.

Do you have self-service laundry facilities? 

All students can use either of our two self-service launderettes on campus – one is located by Jebb Hall, and the other in between Leverhulme and Jerman Halls. The laundrettes are operated by Circuit; visit the  Circuit website for details of how these work (including how-to videos and laundry tips!). Current prices are £2.50 per wash and £1.20 for tumble dryers (50 mins). 

What ID do I need to bring?

It is essential that you provide photographic ID at enrolment - a passport is preferred. If you do not have a passport, please bring a drivers licence accompanied by a birth certificate. Please bring originals (you can take them away with you). If you do not have the ID mentioned above, please contact the postgraduate office for advice.

Can I make use of the Lockers?

There are lockers available in the Postgraduate Centre for your use. Please see Heather if you wish to obtain one. There will be a charge if you lose the key - so don’t! Do not forget to return the key once you have emptied your locker at the end of the year.

Is there an electrician on site to PAT test my equipment?

No not for routine PAT testing . You are responsible for PAT testing in advance your electrical items that are over 12 months old or less than 12 months old without proof of purchase to ensure they comply with current safety regulations. Anything less than 12 months old with accompanying proof of purchase does not need to be PAT tested unless there is a known fault. 

This can be done by any registered electrician and should be available in the area you live in. Further details are in your accommodation information or you can seek further guidance from the Accommodation Team.

Do I need a TV licence if I have a TV in my room?

Yes. If you watch or record a TV programme live as it is being aired on TV, on any type of device, you must by law have a valid TV licence. Devices include TVs, laptops, tablets, PCs, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and DVD recorders. You can find more information at: It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a valid TV licence if accessing content as described above.

Where is the nearest cash machine?

There is a cash machine on campus in the Welly Inn.  There are also a number of cash machines in Newport offering free withdrawals.

Is there a shop on campus?

We have a small shop on campus called The Feed Store (located on the ground floor of the Faccenda Centre) which is open at the following times during term time:

Monday - Friday 9:00am - 3:00pm
Saturday - Sunday 10am - 2pm
Are there any other shops near the campus?

Located at 27 High Street, Edgmond, Edgmond Village Stores is only 1.2 miles from the campus and is within walking distance. It is a local Spar and Post Office. The shop is open Monday - Saturday from 7:00am - 8:00pm and on Sunday from 8:00am - 2:00pm. The Post Office is open Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:30pm and on Saturdays from 9:00 – 12:30pm.

Where is the nearest petrol station?
  Location Distance from university
Shell Lower Bar, Newport, TF10 7JA (Shop, Pay at Pump, Air) 2.2 Miles
Nix Forton Road, Newport, TF10 7JR 2.3 Miles
BP A41, Audley Avenue, Newport TF10 7BX ( M&S Simply Food) 3.6 Miles
Where is the nearest supermarket?

There are three supermarkets in Newport:

Store Location Distance from university
Waitrose Audley Road, Newport, TF10 7DS 3.1 miles
Lidl Audley Avenue, Newport, TF10 7BX 3.6 miles
Aldi Audley Avenue, Newport, TF10 7BX 3.6 miles


There are several supermarkets in and around Telford:

Store Location Distance from university
Aldi Wellington Road, Donnington Wood, Telford TF2 8AW 5.3 miles
Asda Donnington Wood, Telford, TF2 7RX 6.5 miles
Lidl Castle Street, Hadley, Telford, Shropshire, TF1 5GH 7.7 miles
Tesco Wrekin Retail Park, Arleston, Telford, TF1 2DE 9.7 miles
Sainsburys Forge Retail Park, Colliers Way, Old Park, Telford, TF3 4AG 10.9 miles


Many students order their groceries online and have them delivered to them in their accommodation – most of these supermarkets know their way around our campus. We are unable to take in orders on behalf of students so you will need to make sure that you are available to take in the collection of perishable and other supermarket goods.

How can I get around if I don't have a car?

We run a subsidised shuttle bus service during term time between the campus and Newport, which runs hourly throughout the day. More information, including how to purchase your bus pass and a current timetable can be found at:

The shuttlebus timetable is reviewed and update on a yearly basis. The shuttle bus connects campus with the Bus Interchange in Newport, from where you can access Arriva bus services to Telford, Stafford and other local towns.

The following shows approximate distances from the campus to the nearest major towns.

Town Miles by road Approximate driving time
Telford 12 20 Minutes
Stafford 16 30 Minutes
Shrewsbury 19 35 Minutes
Wolverhampton 23 35 Minutes
Birmingham 39 50 Minutes
Chester 44 1 Hour
Can I receive letters and parcels while I am in Halls?

Yes. All post will be available to be collected from the mail room in B Block, open Monday – Friday 8:30am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 4:30pm. We are unable to deliver parcels directly to student accommodation. 

Please make sure you check your post regularly. Your student ID may be required to collect your post. Please address your post as follows: 

Full Name (Student ID)  
Hall/House and room number  
Harper Adams University  
TF10 8NB 

Can I get a job while I am studying?

Yes, (unless you are an overseas student who needs to comply with visa regulations) you can work part-time but your hours must fit around your studies.

There are a number of part-time jobs available on campus; students can be recruited as Harper Ambassadors to host potential students and their guests at open days and other events, and there are positions on offer in the SU Bar and in the catering outlets.

Alternatively students can seek part-time employment in the local area where the opportunities may include positions at retail and catering outlets and at nearby farms.

Is there a charge for using the sports facilities on campus?

The following are free:

  • MUGA pitches (Basketball, Tennis, Football)
  • Heated outdoor swimming pool
  • Sports Hall
  • Rugby Pitches
  • Football Pitches
  • Cricket Pitch
  • Astro-turf pitch

The Student Union does also have sports equipment students can borrow free of charge.

The Students’ Union also run the on-campus gym. For more information please visit the Students' Union website.

Do you have any information about clubs and societies?

Harper Adams Students’ Union (HASU) is proud to host over 20 Clubs, Societies and Common interest groups with a diverse mix of members from all courses and backgrounds. HASU offer celebrated and highly successful sports clubs such Rugby, Hockey and Shooting, as well as Gaming (Video, Board and D&D), the Christian Union, Off-Road and Biology, as well as regional groups such as Harper Ireland and Harper Cymru. Each Club/Society is run by a group of trained students looking to give you the best experience possible. 

If there isn’t something already set up that may take your fancy, it is always worth speaking to the SU about it and you don’t need to wait until you arrive – they would be happy to hear from you. 

I enjoy sports; can I pursue my interests locally?

As well as the clubs and facilities offered on campus, Newport boasts facilities which include a tennis club, cycling club, rugby club, running club, swimming baths, climbing centre, local fitness/gyms. Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre is world famous as a premier sporting venue and located less than 4 miles from the campus.

Can I bring my pet?

Unfortunately not. No pets are allowed on campus. Please see our Animals on Campus Policy for further details. This is to ensure the welfare of animals – a student bedroom is not the ideal environment for pets unfortunately! Please be aware that the majority of rented accommodation off-campus in the local area are unlikely to allow pets although we know national legislation may be changing soon which might affect private housing.  

Can I bring my horse?

Yes, but they cannot come on campus and we suggest you don't bring them until you are fully settled in. The University cannot accept responsibility for helping you with any issues arising from bringing them. There is livery available at several locations nearby including a small family-run yard five minutes from campus, with all-year-round grazing and stabling offering DIY and part-livery options. For further details about this, and for information about other local yards, email

What does the local town have to offer?

For useful information about Newport town, visit the All About Newport website.

How do I register and store my firearm

You can apply for storage on campus by following this link. Please be aware that unless you receive written permission from the Students’ Union Director and University Head of Security then you are not permitted to bring a firearm onto campus. Any students bringing unauthorised firearms onto campus will be reported to the police and removed from campus.


Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.