Skip to main content
Harper Adams University logo
    Undergraduate finance

    Other sources of help

    Earn as you learn

    Many of our students work part-time in the evenings or weekends, although they are careful not to let their studies or social lives suffer! Some prefer to work in their holiday periods instead. There are lots of jobs available on, or nearby, the campus. They are advertised in the local press, on the web, or through the careers service. Remember, some students also earn money during their placement year. For further information please go to our Careers Hub

    Students with families

    If you have dependent children you may qualify for extra financial help on top of the standard student package. Depending on your circumstances you may be able to get:

    The Childcare Grant

    To help with childcare costs during term time and holidays. You can apply for the Childcare Grant (CCG) if you’re a full-time student and have at least one dependent child under 15 at the beginning of the academic year (or under 17 if they have special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare. It is important to provide evidence of your childcare provider or the CCG will be capped or even stopped. Depending on your household income you can apply for 85% of your actual childcare costs during term-time and holidays.

    The Parents’ Learning Allowance

    This can help with course-related costs for students with dependent children. This depends on your income and the income of your husband, wife or partner and any dependents. You can apply for the PLA even if you don’t get the Childcare Grant.

    Adult Dependants’ Grant

    You can apply for Adults Dependants’ Grant (ADG) if you have a partner or another adult who depends on you financially. This depends on your household income plus the income of your dependants (including your husband, wife or partner). Grown up children don’t count as adult dependants. You will not be able to get ADG if the dependant is also studying and in the receipt of student finance.

    Note: Childcare Grant or Parents’ Learning Allowance won’t be counted when working out your entitlement to tax credits and other income-related benefits but Adult Dependants’ Grant will be taken into account.

    As the above are grants they will not have to be paid back. For more information:

    Students with disabilities

    Students with a disability, mental health condition or a specific learning difference (including dyslexia), may be eligible for support through the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). These allowances are intended to assist UK students with disabilities who are studying in Higher Education. The allowances are intended to help meet the extra costs of studying that students may face as a direct result of a disability or specific learning difference, and also to help students study on an equal basis with other students. This allowance is not income dependent.

    For further information visit our Learner Support pages or the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) website.

    It is beneficial to apply for these before you start university, so any support required can be put in place for your arrival.

    Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.