Undergraduate finance

Access to Learning Fund (ALF)

Students in financial hardship, who need extra help to start a course or stay in higher education, could get help from the Access to Learning Fund (ALF). 

After you have completed an application for ALF, the university will assess and decide how much you are entitled to. Any money you get is paid on top of your other student finance and you need to have taken out the maximum student finance available to you. You will also need to be enrolled and studying to apply for ALF. 

Most awards are grants that don’t have to be paid back, although some are loans that do have to be paid back. Money can be paid in a lump sum or in instalments. Please contact Student Services for full details of the Access to Learning Fund.