Undergraduate Finance - Placement year funding | Harper Adams University

Undergraduate finance

Placement year funding

Click the questions below to expand the answer.

Can I get any student loans whilst on placement?

The majority of UK 'home' students on placement (paid or unpaid) during an academic year are eligible for:

  • Reduced rate of Maintenance Loan
  • Reduced rate of Tuition Fee Loan - Students can apply for a fee loan up to the full amount of fees payable.

Any income you earn as part of your placement year will not impact on your entitlement to a loan during the placement year or thereafter.

I am a Veterinary Nursing student, how do I apply for funding?

When completing your student finance application you will be asked where you will spend most time during the academic year. Please report this accurately, stating which terms you will be in attendance at Harper Adams and which terms you will be on placement.

Student Finance are likely to request a letter from the University confirming this information because your placement does not fall in line with other year-long placements. If they request a letter, please contact Andrea Whalley, Student Financial Support Officer.

My placement is paid; will I still need my loan?

You are eligible to take the loan; however, it is completely up to you. Some students may choose to take the loan and save it as an emergency fund or towards their final year.

Working Tax Credits

If you are on a paid placement you may qualify for Working Tax Credits. This is paid to working people on a low income, with or without children. You must usually be:

  • Aged 25 or over and work 30 hours or more per week
  • Aged 16 or over, have responsibility for a child, and work 16 hours per week or more; or
  • Aged 16 or over, have a disability which puts you at a disadvantage in getting a job, and work 16 hours or more a week
Disabled Students Allowance

During placement years you are not eligible for DSA. This means it is very important that you ensure you have all the necessary equipment you require prior to starting a placement year. You may be eligible for the Access to Work grant. This can help pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition. For further information, please visit www.gov.uk/accesstowork/overview.

Students with Dependants

If you have children or an adult dependent and normally receive grants for them, e.g. the Parents' Learning Allowance, Childcare Grant and Adult Dependents' Grant, you will not be entitled to receive these during your placement year.

Students may be able to get the childcare element of Working Tax Credit during their placement year. To qualify lone parents must be working 16 hours per week or more. If you are part of a couple you must be working at least 24 hours between you, with one of you working at least 16 hours or more, unless your partner is incapacitated.

Council Tax

Students on a placement year integral to their programme of study can also claim still claim Council Tax exemption.

Students must either be resident in their family home, a student residence or a rented property where all the other residents are full-time students. In particular, students on a placement year should exercise caution if renting a room in a house with employed tenants as the exemption for that year may be lost. (Final decisions regarding exemption are at the discretion of the relevant Council. Should you have any further queries please contact your local Council Tax office.)

An eligible student gains full exemption for themselves only, therefore:

A group of eligible students living in rented accommodation can claim full exemption for paying Council Tax for that property, by each obtaining a certificate of exemption.

A mature student living at home with their working partner will be fully exempt from Council Tax, and the partner if they are the only other adult in the property will be able to claim the 25% single persons discount, as the only liable adult residing in the property.

Income Tax

Everyone, including students on placement, have to pay income tax once their income goes over the earnings threshold.

For 2017/18 the threshold is £11,500.

Do I still need to complete enrolment for my placement year?

Yes. You will be sent details regarding online enrolment by the Student Records Officer over summer.

How do I apply to renew my funding?

You can re-apply for your funding online by logging onto your student finance account.

Any other tips?
  • Do your research, ask about the cost of living and top tips from a student who was on placement there last year (where applicable)
  • Work out a realistic budget. Your budget will depend on what you want to experience whilst on placement.
  • If your placement is paid, try and save some money for your final year where possible.
  • Think twice about using your credit card, will you be able to make the repayments in your final year?
I am in a financial crisis - What should I do?

If you are hit by an unexpected financial crisis whilst you are on your placement contact us, you may be eligible to receive help via the Access to Learning Fund, please contact Student Services for more information.

Who do I contact for more information?

Please contact our Student Financial Support Officer for further information:

Andrea Whalley
Student Financial Support Officer
Telephone: +44 (0)1952 81 5264
Email: financialsupport@harper-adams.ac.uk

Student Finance England

Student Finance Wales

Student Finance Scotland

Student Finance Northern Ireland

Student Finance Ireland

Income Tax

Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.