Skip to main content
Harper Adams University logo
    General Information

    Drone Flight Registration

    Anyone wishing to fly a drone over Harper Adams University property is required to register and get approval from our Drone Safety Officer before proceeding.

    Please complete all details below. You will need:

    • A UK A2 CofC or GVC registration*.
    • Proof of public liability insurance.
    • Evidence that you have completed a risk assessment.

    Personal details

    Drone operation details

    Do you have a UK A2 CofC or GVC registration?

    All drone pilots must have a UK A2 CofC or GVC registration to fly over university property. Please contact the Drone Safety Officer for advice before continuing.

    Date and time of proposed drone operations:

    : (Hrs:Mins)

    Please tell us the location and purpose of the drone operations:

    Please provide your CAA Flyer and Operator IDs if known:

    Have you done a risk assessment for these drone operations?

    Please upload proof of your risk assessment (PDF/JPEG):

    You must have completed a risk assessment before you can fly over university property. Please contact the Drone Safety Officer for advice before continuing.

    Terms and conditions

    Drone pilots must have at least £5 million public liability cover. Please upload proof of insurance:

    Data submitted will be retained by the University in accordance with the Records Retention Guidelines, and will only be used for the purposes of facilitating drone operations on university property. We may be required to share some data with third parties (e.g. RAF Shawbury/insurance company), but this will only be done where neccessary. Approval (if given) will only be for the date requested, and for no more than one week.

    You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer. You also have the right to correct inaccurate or incomplete information and have access to your information for use in your own purposes.

    *CAA Requirements

    The CAA require you to get a flyer ID and operator ID if your drone has a camera or weighs 250g or more. You have to go through an online exam to get these. It is illegal to fly without registering and passing a theory test.

    The basic requirements for flying in the Open Category:

    • You must pass the online test and hold a Flyer-ID, and must register as a UAS operator, and display your Operator ID on your UAS.

    Until January 2023 if your drone doesn't have a class marking, you may fly it in the following categories:

    • Drones under 250g can be flown in the A1 sub category (there are some exceptions for drones up to 500g).
    • Drones less than 2kg can be flown in A2 sub category, but you must keep at least 50m away from people and pass the A2 theory exam (A2 Certificate of Competency or 'A2 CofC'). If you have not passed the A2 theory exam, you may only fly these drones in the A3 subcategory (far from people).
    • Drones of 2kg or greater may only be flown in the A3 subcategory.

    See CAA website for further information.

    Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.