- Determination of metallomes in entire plant systems
- Determination of metal impurities in food supplements
- Soil metal chemistry
Research background in the remediation of metal(loid) contaminated brownfield land. Also ecological restoration and management of contaminated land, soil ecology, pollution risk assessment, metal mobility and bioavailability, soil carbon interactions and ecosystem modelling.
- Previous research activity associated with soil quality, optimizing natural processes of clean-up and sustainability of brownfield land to soft end-uses thereby enhancing urban regeneration.
- Research effort attempted to understand the impact of pollution on plants, and soil ecology. Project leadership in the Creating Woodlands from Waste Project which has diverted 20,000 tonnes of recycled greenwaste from landfill and has demonstrated the benefits of use in remediation of brownfield land, directly influencing UK government (Defra-WRAP) waste management strategy and imparting knowledge-transfer.
- Previous research associated with biomass energy and soil carbon sequestration, studying Miscanthus growth in As/heavy metal contaminated brownfield soils remediated with organic amendments biochar and greenwaste compost.
- Focus and interests in soil management in terms of pollution impacts, changes in speciation of trace elements in compost remediated soils and the impact anthropogenic contamination has on soil fauna/microbes and associated processes such as carbon sequestration.
Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry