I am a research leader in Crop Improvement and Genetics with over 15 years expertise in plant genetics and mapping of quantitative traits.
- Quantitative genetics of pest and disease resistance and quality traits in lettuce and Brassica.
- Development of genetic and genomics resources for molecular plant breeding.
- Exploitation of natural allelic variation in crop improvement.
- Characterisation of the genetic components of the interaction between lettuce genotypes and human pathogenic bacteria.
Current and recent research funding:
- A Systems Approach to Disease Resistance Against Necrotrophic Fungal Pathogens (BBSRC)
- A genetic approach to improving post-harvest quality (BBSRC)
- Leafy Vegetable Genetic Improvement Network (VeGIN): Pre-breeding research to support sustainable farming of leafy vegetables and salads (Defra)
- Sustainable Agriculture for International Development: Accelerated breeding of Black Rot resistant brassicas for the benefit of East African smallholders (BBSRC/DfID)
- Bacterial and plant factors that influence adhesion of enterohaemorrhagic E. coli and Salmonella enterica to salad leaves (BBSRC)
- KTP partnership with Elsoms Seeds- sponsored by Defra and BBSRC
- Member of the International Society for Horticultural Science