Skip to main content

Research Degrees

Studying for a research qualification at Harper Adams could change your future, and the world around you. Whether you're looking to extend your studies or add to your industry experience, this is your opportunity to gain a deeper knowledge of the biggest challenges that we face.

We've been developing and awarding research degrees for over two decades and building our links with agri-business since the very beginning. As a result, 90% of Harper Adams PhD graduates have found work in their areas of interest.

Key facts

  • Choose from a one year (MRes), two year (MPhil) or three year (PhD) research degree.
  • Excellent completion rates for higher degrees.
  • Great job prospects in industry, government organisations and academia.
  • Rural location, unique facilities and collegiate atmosphere.
  • Weekly research seminar programme.

“Strategic and applied research underpins Harper Adams' mission to provide higher education for a sustainable food chain and rural economy. Our research and reach-out strategies are focused to meet the challenge of rural sustainability.”


The right environment for research

As a MPhil/PhD research student, you'll be provided with office space and a personal computer. Surrounded by 635 hectares of university farmland, with access to a unique set of facilities and staff who are experts in their field, you'll have everything you need for your research to flourish.

Gain more than a qualification

Research takes more than academic skills, and your career could see you do everything from policy development to technical work. That's why we offer a Professional Development Programme alongside your research degree.

You'll meet with specialist advisors to discuss your career and research aims and we'll work with you to create a development plan. From there, we'll offer you training in communication and presentation skills, career planning and networking, research and writing, time and project management, organisational strategies and team-working.

Research Qualifications and How to Apply

Master of Research (MRes)

We have a number of MRes programmes available. Check the course pages for details and contacts.


Funded MPhil/PhD opportunities are available in the form of studentships. We list these below and update them regularly. Take a look at the studentships available and apply directly through the studentship posting. 

Self-funded applicants

As a self-funded applicant, you can undertake any research project, so long as it fits within one of our research themes. It may also help to look at our staff profiles and see their areas of interest, expertise and current projects.

Midlands Integrative Biosciences Training Partnership (MIBTP)

There are many funded PhD opportunities at Harper Adams University available in the form of studentships as part of the MIBTP. If you are interested in applying for an alternative project within the MIBTP scheme that is not specified, please contact the Postgraduate Research Office to discuss this further.

Please visit the MIBTP website for further details about the partnership and the opportunities currently available, and to check your eligibility to apply.

Harper Adams University is unfortunately unable to offer a fee waiver for international students applying to the MIBTP standard programme. Evidence of funding will be required for International Fee paying students. International students need to provide evidence of funding to cover the difference between the UK and international fees for the duration of the programme. In the academic year 2023/4 this amount is £10,890.

MIBTP CASE studentships for Harper Adams are open to UK applicants only.

Please use the links below to apply to Harper Adams University for an MIBTP studentship within the main programme or for a specific CASE project:

Loading posts...

Contact the Postgraduate Research Office

For further information and advice please contact Emma Hancox:

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the entry requirements for MPhil/PhD admission?

You will need a minimum 2:1 or equivalent bachelor's degree in an appropriate subject or a high grade point average bachelor's degree for international applicants. Further research experience or a master's degree is preferable.

How can I obtain funding for my PhD?

Funded studentships will be advertised on our vacancies website and listed below. You can find details of other funding opportunities on our Fees and Funding pages. If you're an overseas students you may be able to apply for funding from your government. If you're from a Commonwealth country, you may be eligible for a Commonwealth Scholarship.

What are the tuition fees?

View the Postgraduate Fees section for information on the current fees for research degrees and other postgraduate programmes.

How long will I study for?

The minimum period of study for a PhD is two years and for a MPhil one year and three months. However, most projects will take at least three years for PhD and two years for MPhil. Some projects with lengthy animal or crop field experiments may take up to four years.

Do you accept international students for part-time study?

Normally international students are only accepted for full-time study.

What are the English Language requirements for international students?

Visit our English Language Requirements page for the minimum language requirements for our courses.


Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.