Skip to main content
Harper Adams University logo

    Off-campus living

    Most students live off campus in their second and final years and begin looking for somewhere to live as early as the second term of their first year.

    The vast majority of off-site student housing is within a six-mile radius of Harper Adams, mostly in the nearby town of Newport or the village of Edgmond.

    Accommodation ranges from single occupant residences or lodging with a family to shared houses for up to nine people. These include apartments, houses, bungalows, cottages, and even converted barns.

    Landlords of off-site student accommodation are monitored by the local authority, Telford and Wrekin Council. Our Accommodation team is happy to support students searching for appropriate accommodation. Whilst the contractual agreement lies between the landlord and the tenants and does not directly involve the University, we can advise on what to look out for, questions to ask landlords, advice on tenancy agreements, and a range of issues once you are in residence. This support is offered to all students during their time at Harper Adams.

    A list of local accredited accommodation along with property details and availability is available on our Property Search pages (internal site) and is fully updated around January, when we also hold information workshops and publish off-campus accommodation advice literature. We do not advise students to sign up for off-campus accommodation for subsequent years before January of each year.

    We can give you help and advice on agreements, landlord and tenant obligations, etc. To help us continually review the suitability of advertised properties for student accommodation, we welcome feedback from current and previous tenants on properties and landlords.

    If you are an overseas student, Student Services will usually assist you in securing accommodation for you before you arrive in Britain.

    Comparison of average student living costs - off-campus

    Expense Birmingham  Harper Adams
    Rent (private accommodation) £80-110 p/wk £75-95 (excl. bills)
    Utilities £20-25 p/wk £15-20
    Food £40 p/wk £30
    Travel expenses £25 £25
    Newspapers £1-2 ea £1-2 ea
    Sports (session) £5 £4
    Inexpensive restaurant £16 p/p £12
    Drinks (in a cafe or bar)    
    Wine (glass) £6 £4
    Coffee £3.50 £3
    Tea £2.50 £2
    Soft drinks £3.50 £2.50
    Beer (pint) £4.50 £3.50

    Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.