Skip to main content
Harper Adams University logo

    Frequently Asked Questions

    How do I apply for my accommodation?

    Applicants will be able to submit an accommodation application once they have received an email from us with further details and a link - keep an eye out for this from mid April (it’s worth checking your junk folder regularly around this time).

    Only applicants who have made Harper Adams University their firm choice will be able to make an application.

    Accommodation information.

    What do I need to bring?

    Download our Accommodation Checklist document.

    What are the accommodation rules?

    Our current accommodation licence agreement details the rules and responsibilities which we expect. Please note that the licence agreement can vary from year to year. You will be issued with the most up-to-date version when you are allocated your accommodation.

    What will my room look like and how big will it be?

    Each Hall of Residence is a different shape and size, each with its own character. For an overview of each hall please visit the Halls of Residence pages.

    How much will my accommodation cost and what is included in the price?

    Accommodation fees increase year on year in line with inflation: download our current fees document from the accommodation homepage for latest information. You can also download the Fees and Charges booklet from our Key Information page.

    All accommodation includes these term time services: heating, lighting, wired and wireless internet access, regular cleaning service, and for those in catered accommodation; three meals a day from Monday to Friday. Meals are available at the weekend on a 'pay as you go' basis. This service is also available to self-catered students throughout the week.

    How many weeks will I have to pay for and do I have to vacate my room for the holidays?

    For undergraduate students all accommodation fees are based on a 40-week licence agreement, with a small number of 36-week agreements available. For students on some specific programmes, you will be offered a 41-week ageement. Postgraduate and International students participating on specific programmes, a 42-week licence agreement is offered, which includes the International and Postgraduate induction periods. Student are not required to vacate during the vacation periods (Christmas and Easter), with the exception of those on a 36-week licence agreement, which are required to vacate in full during the Easter vacation period (storage is not available), to allow for conference activity. Prices have been calculated to reflect the provision of all services (e.g. meals for catered students and cleaning for all residents) on a term-time only basis.

    How do I choose my accommodation?

    Once you've checked out our different halls on the Halls of Residence pages, it may help to consider:

    • Your budget. An en-suite catered room is a lot more expensive than a bedroom in a shared University house
    • Would you prefer to cook your own meals or eat prepared food in the dining hall?
    • Is the en-suite absolutely essential or you are happy to share facilities and save some money in the process?
    • Whether you would be happier in mixed halls / a single sex flat / a single sex floor within a mixed hall, etc.
    • How much space you will need; en-suite rooms are smaller than rooms without a private bathroom.

    When you complete your online application, you will be required to list all different types of accommodation by order of preference.

    Finally... visit Harper Adams, take a campus tour, talk to the ambassadors about their experience, have a good nosey in all of the halls and rooms. Where can you see yourself?

    How do you allocate accommodation?

    Please note that while all efforts will be made to allocate you to your preferred accommodation option, this may not always be possible.

    We allocate on a "best fit" basis. This means that in addition to when an application has been submitted, we make other considerations to ensure a good mix of courses, gender split, making reasonable adjustments for disabilities and other medical/special requirements, all subject to room availability.

    The order of priority for the allocation of residential accommodation in University will be:

    1. Students with specific needs (e.g. disability; medical conditions; care leavers; etc.) on a case- by-case basis
    2. Students in their first year of study at the University
    3. Overseas students
    4. Postgraduate and research students
    5. Students in their final year of study
    6. Visiting researchers

    Am I guaranteed my first choice of accommodation?

    You will be asked to select your choice of accommodation in order of preference (types of accommodation rather than halls), via the online system. Whilst every effort will be made to secure your first choice, understandably this is not always possible. Submitting your accommodation application soon after the invitation will certainly increase your chances but ultimately, it is about getting the best fit for a balanced hall and a better student experience.

    When will I find out which accommodation I have been allocated?

    We aim to let you know, by email, which accommodation you have been allocated at the end of August. Don't worry, we have a room for you. We only release offers at the end of August to ensure that we are giving the best possible room offer at that time. Once you have been allocated accommodation you will be given 7 days to accept this and the associated terms and conditions. This will secure your accommodation for you, along with a £300 deposit payment. If you cannot meet this payment in order to confirm your acceptance, please contact the Accommodation Team to discuss alternative arrangements. Failure to complete the acceptance process means that your room may be reallocated.

    As a condition of entry into the university students are usually required to accept their allocated accommodation. Clearing applicants may be placed on a waiting list and/or given appropriate assistance in seeking off-campus accommodation, if no suitable on-campus accommodation is available.

    I will be under the age of 18 when I commence my studies, where will I live?

    All students who are under the age of 18 when beginning their studies at Harper Adams will be required to live in Boughey Halls of Residence, in designated under-18 accommodation. These flats will only be accessible by students under the age of 18 and appropriately DBS-checked members of staff and wardens. Once students have turned 18 they can ask to move to an alternative room/hall, subject to availability. All under-18 residents will be required to accept additional terms and conditions set out in the Under-18 Agreement.

    What are the housing options in the second year and beyond?

    The majority of students live off-campus after the first year. There is a variety of accommodation available in Newport and the surrounding areas including lodgings, Private Halls of Residence, and larger properties to rent with friends. Most of the properties available are 4/5 bed houses, and rent can vary on average between £75 and 95 per person per week, excluding bills. Off-Campus Accommodation. 

     How does laundry work?

    There are two self-service laundries on site available to all students. One is located by Jebb Hall and the other by Jerman Hall. The service is operated by Circuit and they have very good how-to guides on their website as well as details on how to set up an account. This facility is also accessible by all students. For this reason, we would always encourage all students to label their clothes.

    What is the food like?

    Harper Adams' catering department are an award winning team who pride themselves on offering quality locally sourced food. In summary: great breakfast to start the day, good portions, plenty of variety, and the catering team work hard to please our students. They are always open to suggestions and new ideas - if you think something is missing, get in touch!

    The Catering department also have a Meal Plan scheme available to all non-catered and off-campus resident students, which you can by on a weekly or termly basis. You can also top-up your student ID card to pay at the catering outlets and get a 10% discount, alongside other initiatives such as the reusable cup scheme.

    If you have any specific diet requirements, let Student Services know before you arrival - Our catering department is able to cater for most allergies and intolerances and will be happy to devise a catering plan with you, ready for when you arrive. Please ensure you disclose any allergies and food intolerances in your application.

    Do I need a TV licence?

    You'll need a TV licence if you're watching, recording or streaming television programmes as they're being shown on TV. This applies whatever device you're watching on - a TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or games console - and however you're receiving the programmes - via an aerial, satellite, cable or streaming through the internet.

    It's the law, and anyone living on campus who watches or records television programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid TV licence is at risk of prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

    Your parents' TV licence probably won't cover you when you're away from home, and your hall's licence won't either. However, there are some rare occasions where you could be covered. To check whether these apply to you, please contact TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090,

    A colour TV Licence costs £159.00 from 1st April 2023. There are lots of different ways to pay - all in one go or spreading the cost weekly, monthly or quarterly. Just choose whatever's best for you.

    Don't forget the student refund

    If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV licence if there's one at home. If there is at least one month before your licence expires, you can get a refund for the unused month of your licence.

    If you'd like a refund or further information, view the University students and the TV Licence webpage or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090.

    When don't I need a licence?

    If you only ever watch Blu-rays, DVDs or downloaded videos, you don't need a TV licence.

    If you're not sure if you need one, you can find out more on the Telling us you don't need a TV Licence webpage.

    Do I need to PAT test all electrical equipment?

    If electrical items such as electric kettles, televisions, mini fridges/coolers, stereos and computers are brand new (out of the box), you do not need to carry out PAT (Portable appliance test) but you will need to provide the receipt to prove when it has been purchased. If they are older than a year or you cannot evidence when these were purchased, you should seek to have all electrical items subject to PATesting. Inspections will be done at random at the start of the academic year, especially where power issues arise. Where an electrical item fails the PAT it will be removed by the university for safe keeping. You will be advised in person or a card will be left. You'll need to arrange and pay for a repair and the item will be re-tested and if it passes, returned to you. Where an item is not repaired successfully within six weeks, it will be disposed of by the Estates Department.

    Loading contact details...

    Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.