University Life - International - English Language Requirements | Harper Adams University

English Language Requirements

When you apply to study here, you may need to prove your knowledge of the English language. This helps us to make sure you'll cope with your course. We'll let you know more about this during the application process.

English language requirements for Tier 4 (General) student visa students

If you need a Tier 4 (General) student visa for undergraduate or postgraduate study, you must show evidence that your English Language skills are at B2 level on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference).

This can be demonstrated by obtaining any of the following qualifications for direct entry on to undergraduate, postgraduate or research qualifications:

External tests of English Language which can be considered as evidence of language competence* IELTS Academic 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in any component)
Pearson Test of English Academic 56 (minimum 51 in any component)
Cambridge Advanced/Proficiency 169 (minimum 162 in subtests)
TOEFL iBT 80+ (minimum 18 reading, 18 Listening, 22 speaking, 20 writing)
GCSE English Language C/4  
iGCSE English Language C/4  
Internal test** Harper Adams Password Password 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in any component)


*Only results obtained within the last two years will be considered as proof of English Language proficiency.


**Harper Adams Password test is available in specific circumstances by arrangement only and is not transferrable to any other UK HEI application

Tier 4 applicants' English language skills will be further assessed by face-to-face interview as part of the application process for your course. Other evidence of English language proficiency may be considered in support of your application. Email Stephen Giles, English Language Support Manager, to discuss.

In addition to English language, all applicants will need to meet course-specific entry requirements relating to subjects, grades and/or work experience.

Further information

To find out more about the minimum English language requirements required to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, take a look at the Knowledge of English page on the UK Government website.


English language requirements for Tier 4 (General) student visa students from majority English-speaking countries

If you're from a country that's been listed on the Knowledge of English page on the UK Government website, you may not need to prove your English language abilities to apply for your visa. You may still need to prove your English language abilities to us when you apply for your course. We will let you know during the application process if we need you to do this.

Additional English language requirements for joint UK-China programme students

If you are studying one of our joint UK-China courses, you'll need to pass the English language modules of your course as part of your English language requirements.

English language requirements for students from Europe

If you're from a country within the European Economic Area (EEA), even if it's a majority English-speaking country, we may still need you to prove your English language abilities. We'll let you know about this during the application process.

Advice and support

Whether you need some advice on our English language requirements, or want to know about the support we offer when you study at Harper Adams, simply get in touch and we'll do our best to help.


Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.