Skip to main content
Student Support


If you are thinking of withdrawing from your studies you will need to let both the University and Student Finance know.

How will this affect my maintenance loan/grant?

If you withdraw permanently from your course during the academic year, Student Finance will re-assess the amount of financial support you are entitled to for the academic year. You will receive an updated notification letter showing you how much you are entitled to. You won't receive any further payments for subsequent terms. If you have been overpaid as a result of withdrawing early from your course Student Finance will contact you regarding repayment.

How will this affect my tuition fee loan?

Depending on the date that you withdraw, you will be liable for tuition fees applicable for the period studied. Please refer to the Fees and Finance booklet in our finance section for further details.

How do I repay my loans?

All students have to repay the loan elements of student funding once they leave their course, either through withdrawal or completion. You will be automatically contacted by Student Finance when repayments are due. For further information about repaying your student loans, please visit

Can I return to higher education in the future?

When you study on a full-time higher education course you will usually be entitled to receive full Student Finance funding for the standard length of your course plus one extra year (known as a gift year). If you have studied on a full-time higher education course in the past, even if you did not obtain a qualification, this previous study will reduce your entitlement to receive a Student Finance tuition fee loan for a new full-time course.

If you are not eligible for a tuition fee loan, you will have to pay your own tuition fees for some or all of the course.

There is one exception to this rule: if you did not complete your previous course because of compelling personal reasons, for example, illness or bereavement, Student Finance can at their discretion award one extra year of funding. You should contact Student Finance for advice on your own circumstances.

Will I still have to pay for my accommodation if I withdraw?

If you live on campus, please refer to the Guidance for students thinking about leaving Harper Adams University document which details liability periods for accommodation.

If you live off campus, you will need to check with your accommodation provider (i.e. the letting agent or landlord). As you have entered into a contract with the accommodation provider, by virtue of a tenancy agreement, they may ask you to keep up repayments for the remainder of the agreement. It is important you discuss this with them as every accommodation provider operates differently.

You will not be exempt from Council Tax after withdrawing.

How will this affect my student bank account?

You will need to contact your bank to inform them of your withdrawal. They may convert your student account into a standard current account, which may affect any overdraft you have with them.

Will I be entitled to any state benefits when I withdraw?

The turn2us benefits calculator is a useful tool to see any benefits you may be entitled to. Alternatively you can contact the Jobcentre Plus to enquire about Job Seekers Allowance and other benefits you may be entitled to.

Contact us

For further assitance please contact:

Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.