Starting at university is an exciting venture where you will learn new skills, seek out inspirational opportunities and meet friends for life. Welcome Week is the start to all of this; the SU hosts a series of mixers and events for you to get a feel for campus and to meet your year group. While this year will be different due to Covid-19, we asked some students for their top tips on how best to prepare for university and make the most of Welcome Week.
- Join the New Students Facebook group. Before you even arrive on campus, connect with people on your course or in your halls. The 2020 group can be found here.
- Check out the SU. Discover all of the clubs and societies on offer at Harper as well as buying your tickets to the Welcome events. This year, numbers are more limited in line with social distancing however other events will be running online so you won’t miss out!
- Get organised - it’s better to do so now so you don’t miss out on anything during your first week on campus! Gather together everything you need for enrollment as well as documents to speed up the process of registering at the doctor’s surgery etc.
- Bring some home touches. Everyone gets homesick at some point during their first term at university. While home is only ever a call or text away, it can also help to have photos and trinkets to settle you into your new space and make it feel more like home.
- Take some less obvious essentials. From extra clothes hangers, to extension cables, Freshers’ flu medicine and a biscuit supply, our students recommend bringing anything that will help you feel more comfortable, and take up as little space as possible!
- Find out where your classrooms are. There’s nothing worse than being lost and late to a seminar. By using the map provided at enrollment, discover where and when you need to be on campus. It’s also a great way to get to know people in your Harper herd if you go together!
- Keep an eye on your mental health. There are a lot of changes happening in a small amount of time which can be difficult to adjust to, as well as the new challenges Coronavirus has presented us all with. Harper has social distancing measures in place, so it is safe on campus to go out and enjoy student life; keep active with sports clubs, and make new friends. Should you have any issues or concerns about adjusting to student life, the Student Advice Zone has some great tips. You can also speak to the Student Support team.
- Most importantly, have fun! Embrace all the opportunities and have a great start to university life.
For further guidance on starting out your student life, click here.