Skip to main content
Harper Adams University logo

    The visa you will need to study in the UK depends on the country you are coming from and how long you will be studying here.

    Anyone who is not from the UK or Republic of Ireland will need permission to enter and study in the UK. The type of permission that is required depends on the length of the course, and where you are currently resident.

    While there are many different visa types, the main ones which apply to students are detailed below. If you are in any doubt over the visa type that you need or are eligible for, you can use the Home Office visa checker or contact the Admissions and Visa Compliance Office for advice.

    Student Visa

    A Student Visa (previously known as a Tier 4 visa) is for all students who are studying a course longer than 6 months in duration (or an English Language course longer than 11 months).

    In order to apply for this visa, you will be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) by the Admissions Office once all admissions requirements have been met and associated checks made. As well as meeting the academic and vocational requirements of the course, you must also meet requirements around English language ability, pay a fee deposit and provide proof that you are able to meet the financial maintenance requirements and where applicable, apply for ATAS clearance and have a TB test.

    It is a students responsibility to ensure that they are aware of the visa requirements and we advise that students should research these as soon as they start to make course applications, to ensure that they are eligible. The most up to date information on Student Visas, including application costs, can be found on the government website.

    Unfortunately, we cannot accept students who need a Student Visa onto our foundation degree (FdSc) and EDP courses. These course are three-to-four years long and this visa does not permit study for more than two years on a course below bachelor's degree level.


    Visitor Visa

    A Visitor visa permits a range of activities for those who only wish to enter the UK on a temporary basis. This includes study of up to 6 months. Whether you are required to apply for this visa in advance of arrival depends on whether you are a ‘visa national’ or a ‘non-visa national’ Those who are a visa national need to make their visa application and gain their entry clearance prior to travel. Those who are non-visa nationals can travel without prior clearance and declare their purpose for travel when they arrive, to receive a stamp in their passport (although a visa can be applied for in advance if preferred)

    All students commencing a course which is eligible to study on a Visitor visa will be issued with a letter by the relevant Admissions Officer containing details of the course, study dates, fees and other costs applied and how the student has been assessed as suitable for study. This will only be issued once the student has satisfied all conditions for entry.

    Further details on this visa type can be found on the government website and you are advised to use the visa checker above to determine if you would need to apply for it in advance.


    Short term Study Visa

    This visa category is now solely for the purpose of studying an English Language course which is no longer than 11 months in duration. This visa must be applied for in advance. If you study a pre-sessional English course at Harper Adams University you will be advised which visa category is the most appropriate for you to apply for. Further details can be found on the government website.


    Students from inside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

    Anyone entering the UK from the EU, EEA and Switzerland, with the exception of those from the Republic of Ireland, who previously had ‘free-movement’ in the UK, will now be required to have a visa to enter the UK in line with the categories above. This is a result of ‘Brexit’ and the UK leaving the EU on the 1st January 2021.

    Although the deadline for applying to the EU Settlement Scheme has now passed, students who are already in the UK may still be able to apply if they can show 'reasonable grounds' for missing the 30 June 2021 dealine. 

    Successful applicants for the scheme will be granted either pre-settled, or settled status, based on how long they have already been in the UK. Pre-settled status is for 5 years and can be updated to settled status, which has no end date, once the 5 years residency requirement has been met. Please visit the Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status) webpage for full details.

    Anyone who does not apply for the Scheme (which is free) will be required to make an application for a Student visa to continue their course and to remain in the UK.


    Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.