Professor Wynne Jones was Principal and Chief Executive of Harper Adams University College from 1996-2009.
He attended the University College of North Wales, Bangor where he graduated in Agriculture in 1970. Following a short period working for the Animal Breeding Research Organisation he joined Reading University as a Research Assistant whilst also undertaking research for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy which was awarded in 1976.
Until 1988 he was Head of Animal Production at the Welsh Agricultural College (now part of the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences) at Aberystwyth.
In 1988 he was appointed Vice Principal and Director of Research at Harper Adams Agricultural (now University) College and was appointed Principal in 1996.
- Awarded a Nuffield Farming Scholarship in 1983
- Awarded a Temperton Fellowship for Poultry Research in 1997
- Appointed Fellow of the Royal Agricultural Societies in 1993
- Appointed Fellow of the Institution of Agricultural Engineers in 2002
- Conferred with an Honorary DSc from Canfield University in 2006
- Recognised by:
- The Royal Agricultural Society of England with the National Agricultural Award for outstanding services to the agricultural industry in 2005
- The Farmers Club for an outstanding contribution to British agriculture in 2007
He is currently:
- A member of the Board of Trustees and Council of Lantra (the environmental and land-based industry Sector Skills Council)
- A member of the Board and Council of AMTRA (Animal Medicines Training Regulatory Authority)
- A member of the Board of Governors of Shrewsbury School (Department for Children, Families and Schools nominee)
- Member of the West Midlands Higher Education Association Strategic Board
- Chairman of the Trehane Trust
- Vice Chairman of the Dairy Science Forum
- President of Stockmen UK
- Member of Landex Executive
He has served on:
- Board of the Quality Welsh Food Certification Ltd. 2000-2005
- Board of BASIS (Registration) Ltd. 2004-2007 and chaired its Professional Matters Committee
- Board of the Farming & Wildlife Advisory Group Trust 1998-2004
- DEFRA Learning Skills & Knowledge Review Steering Group 2003-04
- HEFCE Land Based Subjects Review Group 2005-2007
- Chairman of the Nuffield Farming Scholarships Trust
He is a member of the British Society of Animal Science, British Grassland Society, Institute of Biology and a Fellow of the Institute of Welsh Affairs.