Skip to main content
Harper Adams University logo
    How to Apply

    Offer holders' frequently asked questions

    2024 Offer Holder FAQs

    Below is a collection of questions asked by Applicants attending our Offer Holder Day. If you have a question which is not covered by the questions or links listed below, please feel free to contact the Admissions Team and we will be happy to find the answer for you!


    01952 815000

    Student Finance

    Can I afford to go to university?

    There are a number of ways to fund going to university. The most common way is to take out a Student Loan from the Student Loans Company (SLC), to pay for tuition fees and towards accommodation and living expenses that is only repaid once you have finished your studies and are earning over a set amount. Many students also find time for part-time jobs to supplement their loans. has a lot of information that students (and their parents) find useful.

    How and when do I make an application for a Student Loan?

    The first place to visit is the Student Finance website. Here you will find information around eligibility and links to the correct application system as it varies between the devolved nations. It takes at least six weeks to process applications, so it’s important to apply as soon as possible.

    Is there a deadline to get my loan application completed?

    You can make a loan application at any time, however, there will be a deadline that guarantees that your funding is available for the start of term. More information can be found on the Student Finance website.

    Do I have to have a confirmed place at university to make an application?

    No, can make your application at any time. If you do not have a confirmed place, enter the details of your preferred course and institutions and should either of these change, you can log into your application at any time and update it. Should you need to make a change, you should do this as soon as you can.

    What does Student Finance cover?

    Eligible students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the full cost of the University fee (for a ‘Home student’ that is the £9,250 tuition fee). This does not depend on family circumstances or income. You can take out a Maintenance Loan to help towards the cost of accommodation and living expenses. This is separate from the Tuition Fee Loan (but part of the same application). It is means-tested, which means the amount you are eligible to receive will depend on your household income. Additional funds may be available to help with childcare costs, for adult dependants, and for students with disabilities.

    When are the first Maintenance Loan payments made?

    Once you have enrolled at university, the first instalment will be released into your nominated bank account. It can typically take between 3 and 5 working days for the money to reach you. We recommend that you have sufficient funds for the first two weeks of term, in case there are any unforeseen delays.

    When will I start paying a loan back? And how much will my repayments be?

    Loan repayments start in the April after you are awarded your qualification or earlier if you leave your course. You only start repayments when you reach the salary threshold. You don’t need to do anything; the repayments will be taken from your salary automatically. For further information go to Repayments are taken as a percentage of your earnings above the threshold earnings level, which means that if your income changes for any reason, repayments will be adjusted or cease altogether if income drops below the threshold.

    Can I get any student loans whilst on placement?

    Students who are eligible for Student finance will continue to be eligible during the placement year, although this may be at a reduced rate when compared to the years on campus.

    What bursaries/scholarships are available?

    The Harper Adams Development Trust have a number of scholarships available to apply for, once you become a Harper Adams student. These are awarded on a competitive, merit basis. Each scholarship sets out its application process and criteria. Details of the current scholarships are listed on the website. 


    Learner Support

    What support is available for ASD (autism), mental health, ADHD and specific learning differences (dyslexia & dyspraxia)?

    Our Learner Support Team have a wide range of experience in supporting students in their study needs. Applicants are encouraged to make early contact by emailing the team:

    Disabled Students’ Allowance – What is it?

    Students with a disability, including dyslexia, may be eligible for support through the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA). These allowances are intended to assist UK students with disabilities who are studying in Higher Education. The award is intended to help meet the extra costs of studying that students may face as a direct result of a disability or specific learning difference, and also to help students study on an equal basis with other students. This allowance is not income dependent. This video provides further information about the DSA process.

    How do I apply for DSA and how long does it take?

    Please refer to the following websites for guidance:

    The process can take on average 10-12 weeks so you are encouraged to apply as early as possible to make sure your support is in place for the start of term.

    I had extra time in exams at school – can I have the same at University?

    Additional exam arrangements can be put in place for students who require this. Students must provide evidence to request additional exam arrangements (for example; a diagnostic assessment or medical evidence) and the Learner Support Team can provide advice on this evidence. Please note that exam arrangements do not automatically transfer from school and JCQ exam arrangements cannot be accepted.

    Is there accommodation available for students with disabilities?

    Students with disabilities and specific accommodation needs can apply for priority consideration as part of the accommodation application process. When making your online accommodation application, please ensure you include relevant information. If you wish to discuss accommodation requirements prior to submitting your application, then please contact the Accommodation Team at

    What mental health support is available?

    Students can contact the Wellbeing Team in advance to discuss any support needs at

    How do I contact the Disability Team for further information?

    If you would like to discuss any specific needs prior to starting university then please contact us at

    On request, we can arrange pre-arrival visits to discuss your support needs in more detail and students with ASD can request early entry (the day before) to their accommodation to ensure they have more time available to settle in before other students arrive.


    Student Life (Students' Union/Sports and Societies)

    What does the Students’ Union offer?

    The Students’ Union hosts a variety of social events on a weekly basis alongside events for Welcome Week, Refreshers and a host of large events such as Christmas, Paddy’s and our legendary Summer Ball. We also have a host of sports clubs and societies as well as a regular schedule of activities trips and events.

    What is the nightlife like?

    We take great pride in delivering the best possible nightlife activities for our students. We have a 1600 capacity venue and run weekly club nights as well as themed nights in our campus pub “the Welly Inn".

    What sports clubs and societies do you offer?

    A list of all our sports clubs can be found on the SU website and our societies can be found here. Students can join clubs and societies once they begin at the University. If a sport or activity that you are interested in is not listed, students are welcome to come into the SU and speak with our activities team about setting up a new club.

    Is there a gym on campus?

    The University has a gym on-site which is open 7 days a week and has a wide variety of equipment available. The cost for half a year for the 2023/24 academic year is £110.* Further details, including opening times, can be found on the SU website.
    *Prices are subject to change each academic year.

    Is there a society for LGBTQ+ students and is the University actively trying to make their environment safer for queer students?

    Our LGBTQ+ society can be found at Freshers Fair and host regular meetups and events. The Students’ Union wants to ensure all students feel safe and welcome at all of our events. This February we ran a wonderful Rainbow themed night in our venue in support of LGBTQ+ causes and campaigns. If you have any questions or concerns, you are welcome to contact the LGBTQ+ society via their SU web page.

    Do we have to take part in all events during Freshers' Week?

    Not at all! You can choose to get involved in as many or as few events as you choose, a bit like a pick and mix! Our Freshers' Week wristband goes on sale in the weeks before the start of term which covers all events but individual event and activity tickets are also available so you can pick and choose. 


    Student Services

    How does arrival work in September?

    Students who will be living on campus in the 2024/25 academic year will arrive on Sunday 22nd September* to move into their accommodation. There is usually a meal provided on the Sunday night for all residents, then Welcome Week and the induction programme will begin for all new students, whether living on or off-campus, on Monday 23rd September. We will send more detailed information about residential check-in day and Welcome Week closer to the time.

    *provisional date, tbc

    What transport links are available to get to campus?

    Harper Adams runs a subsidised shuttle bus service between campus and Newport Town Centre (Monday – Saturday) and between campus and Telford Town Centre (Sundays). This runs hourly throughout the teaching day in the week, with slightly shorter operating hours at weekends. From Newport, Arriva bus services travel regularly to Telford and Stafford, both of which have train stations with services across the country. During vacations, the shuttle bus runs 3 times a day on weekdays. Students can purchase bus passes for one day, one week, one term, or an annual pass, either including vacations or not. Current information for this academic year as a guide is available on our website.

    The current costs are as follows: (2023/24)
    Day - £1
    Week - £5
    Term - £45
    Term-Time Year - £120
    Full Year - £150

    All on-campus accommodation is within walking distance of all on-campus locations. 

    Where are the nearest shops and what is in the local area?

    We have catering outlets and a small convenience shop on campus. In the village of Edgmond, there is a small shop and post office. The nearest town is Newport, which has a range of shops, both chains and independent, as well as Waitrose, Aldi and Lidl. Newport also has a large number of pubs, bars, restaurants and takeaways, as well as services such as hairdressers. Telford is around 10 miles from the campus, with a large indoor shopping centre, as well as tourist attractions such as the Ironbridge and Ironbridge Museums. Shrewsbury is also not too far away. For more information see University Life - out and about.

    When is the library open?

    Please visit the library web pages for all library information.

    Can you get deliveries or mail when you’re on campus?

    Student post is managed centrally for those living on campus. Non-resident students should have mail delivered to their off-campus address - the campus mailroom is only for campus residents. The post/parcel room is located in B block and is open on weekdays. Students are notified by email when a letter or parcel is delivered for them. Students who are allocated a room on campus will be informed of how their post should be addressed before moving in. Please do not arrange to post anything to arrive before your move-in date without making prior arrangements with the Accommodation Office.

    Are there any jobs available on campus for students or in the local area?

    Many students work alongside their studies – however, it is important to remember that your studies should take priority! On-campus, students can work within the Catering and Housekeeping departments, on the university farm, or in the Students’ Union Bar. Students can also apply to be a Student Ambassador, helping to promote the university at events such as open days. There are also jobs available in the local area in hospitality, retail, farming, and more. The University Careers Service advertises part-time jobs as well as graduate jobs and can assist with CV writing and interview skills.

    Are there any cash machines on-site? 

    A cash machine is available in The Welly Inn. There are also a number of banks and cash machines in Newport town centre.

    What is security like? 

    Our rural setting helps students feel less vulnerable than city living. As well as round the clock security, campus-wide CCTV, and card entry systems in every hall, living on such a close-knit campus is like being part of one big Neighbourhood Watch scheme.



    How do you apply for accommodation?

    Applicants will be able to submit an accommodation application once they have received an email from us with further details and a link - keep an eye out for this from early April (it’s worth checking your junk folder regularly around this time).

    Only applicants who have made Harper Adams University their firm choice will be able to make an application. 
    Accommodation information.

    What are the different accommodation types and which are the most popular?

    A range of accommodation types is available. You can choose between catered or self-catered, and en-suite or shared bathrooms.  The accommodation people pick depends on their preferences and budget. Popularity varies from year to year as it really does depend on the individual student’s requirements. 
    Information on what it is like to live on campus can be found on our accommodation web pages.

    How is accommodation allocated and are you put into accommodation with people from a similar course? Can you be with friends?

    A number of factors are taken into account as part of the allocation process. The first is those with evidenced needs – if you need a particular type of accommodation, for example, due to a medical condition. Please make sure that you submit supporting evidence, such as a letter from your doctor when prompted during the application process. If you do not disclose this information at the time of application, we cannot guarantee that we can accommodate this at a later stage.

    There is an element of first-come-first-served based on the preferences you put on your application, so please do ensure you submit your application in a timely manner when you receive the invitation to apply – don’t wait for your results to come out first! We also look to ensure a good mix of genders and courses in each accommodation area – this allows you to get to know other people from across the university, and gives you a more well-rounded university experience. Please ensure any specific requests are added to your application – while we cannot make any guarantees, it is best that you let us know early as once allocations are made we are unlikely to be able to make any changes. All accommodation on campus is within a 10-minute walk from one side to the other, so you’ll never be far away from your friends.

    What are the accommodation costs and what is included?

    For the 2023/24 academic year it varies between £3243 and £7221 depending on the type of accommodation. Full accommodation fees can be found on page 9 of the fees and charges guide.
    Details of what is included can be found on our accommodation web pages.

    How does laundry work? 

    All laundry will be on a self-service basis. There are two pay-as-you-go laundrettes available on campus.

    What are the accommodation rules?

    Our current licence agreement details the rules and responsibilities which we expect. Please note that the licence agreement can vary from year to year. You will be issued with the most up-to-date version when you are allocated your accommodation.

    What are the rules with guests in the accommodation? Can they stay over?

    Students must book in guests at least 24h in advance with a Residence Officer. Guests cannot stay more than one night without the approval of the accommodation team.

    Any exemptions to the no-pets rule? 

    At this time only trained and registered assistance dogs are allowed on campus. 
    View the policy.

    Do you provide desk lamps?

    You are welcome to bring your own lamp (it must be PAT tested unless it is less than 12 months old and you have the receipt), however, desk lamps are provided.

    How many people share a kitchen space?

    Self-catered students typically share the kitchen with 5-8 people depending on the flat/house. For catered students, they usually share a snack kitchen per floor or block depending on the layout.

    Can you help with off-site accommodation?

    The Accommodation Team aims to offer all new students on-site accommodation, however, if this is not possible, or you prefer to live off-site, we can assist with your search for accommodation in the local area. 

    What are the housing options in the 2nd Year and beyond?

    The majority of students live off-campus after the first year. There is a variety of accommodation available in Newport and the surrounding areas including 1 bedroom flats, Private Halls of Residence, and larger properties to rent with friends. Most of the properties available are 4/5 bed houses, and rent can vary on average between £70 and 90 per week, excluding bills.

    Off-campus Accommodation


    Cookies on the Harper Adams University website

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.