Big changes to Library search and borrowing systems on 1 August 2019
- Any fines have not been carried across to the new system, so everyone starts with zero fines!
- You no longer need to renew your books. All items will be issued to you for 7 days in the first instance, then renew automatically each day. The item is always due back in 7 days until someone else requests it, you have had it for six months or your membership expires.
- This means that you will need to request books rather than wait for someone else to return them – or it may be a long wait! If there are not enough copies of a book please let us know
- If you have a book on loan and it fails to renew because someone else has requested it, you have had it for nearly 6 months or you are nearing the end of your Library membership you will receive an email to inform you of this and of the date the item is due. Please return the item by this date to avoid a fine (you will have 7 days from the date of the email). The fine rate is now £1 per day but you will only be fined on books which have been requested by someone else or because you have already had them for 6 months, not just because you didn’t renew them.
- Find it @ Harper had been replaced by HOLLY (Harper Online Library) You will find it on the Library home page where Find it @ Harper used to be from 1 August. We hope you find it easy to use. Please send us any feedback so we can improve it .
Searching for Journal Articles off campus
To obtain the full text of journal articles off campus you need to login using the Sign in button on the Library home page first. Once you have logged in there you can search using HOLLY to search library electronic resources or Google Scholar or wherever you like, and you should get the full text if we have bought access to the article.
Book postal service
We will post books out to you free of charge while you are on placement. You are reponsible for getting them back to us on time. If the book is available just email libhelp with the name, edition (if appropriate), author and shelfmark of the item(s) you need. Please also include the address to post them to. It is safest to borrow only long loan books, as if they are reserved you will have to post them back to us for the date they are due back, and this is unlikely to give you enough time if it is a week loan. Remember, we also have nearly 600 e-books available too. If all the print copies are out on loan, why not see if it is available online instead?
Joining other academic libraries
While on placement you may join many other academic libraries and borrow their books. More information on the SCONUL Access scheme
Help and advice
If you need help with finding information while on placement either email us at libhelp or ring us on 01952 815393.
We hope you have had a good year and we are looking forward to seeing you at the end of September